The St. Louis Post-Dispatch's Joe Strauss has an excellent update on the Cardinals' pursuit of a new starting shortstop.
- Sounds like the end of the David Eckstein Era in St. Louis - Strauss says it's a widespread belief that Eckstein will not be offered arbitration and probably will not stay around.
- While the Cards are drawn to Miguel Tejada, a deal seems highly unlikely. John Mozeliak wants to move quickly to fill the shortstop position and the Orioles are taking their time with Tejada.
- Sounds like there's a very good chance the Cards get Jack Wilson from the Bucs. They're OK with paying all of the $13.75MM owed to him through 2009.
- If Wilson doesn't work out, Cesar Izturis is the one free agent the Cardinals are considering. They could have some competition from the Rays.
- There isn't much interest in acquiring Juan Uribe or going with internal option Brendan Ryan.
- A few speculative options not mentioned by Strauss: Cristian Guzman, Alexei Ramirez, Jason Bartlett, Adam Everett, Joaquin Arias, Clint Barmes, and Russ Adams.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cards Considering Jack Wilson, Izturis, Tejada: