12:47pm: Scott Lauber has the latest from the Amaro press conference.
- Manny Ramirez seems unlikely as a left field solution. Execs surveyed by Jerry Crasnick felt the same.
- Burrell switched to a Philly-based agent, and talks will begin soon with the Phillies.
- Pat Gillick will remain with the Phillies as a paid consultant.
11:13am: The Phillies locked up Ruben Amaro Jr. as their GM through 2011. Items on his to-do list:
- Left fielder Pat Burrell could be back if he accepts a two-year deal. Otherwise, the Phils will kick the tires on Manny Ramirez, Matt Holliday, and Magglio Ordonez. Jim Salisbury also notes that the Phillies have long liked Rocco Baldelli. They’ve also been linked to Garrett Atkins.
- Cole Hamels and Ryan Howard are in for large raises through arbitration; Amaro may attempt to sign them long-term.
- Salisbury sees free agent lefties Jamie Moyer and Scott Eyre re-signing. Scott Lauber suggests the Phils don’t want to go beyond one year for Moyer, though.
- The team had a $104MM payroll in ’08, and that is expected to increase.
- The Phillies (along with the Tigers and Nationals) have interest in free agent utility man Pete Orr.