Spring Training is in the air... let's cover the last week here on MLBTR!
- The Dodgers landed a bargain this week, when they agreed to terms with Orlando Hudson on a one-year, $3.4MM deal with an additional $4.6MM worth of incentives. The Dodgers complete a very strong middle infield, and still have Blake DeWitt available to fill in any holes that come up from injuries. Very nice value.
- Lots of drama surrounding Ken Griffey Jr. this week, but he wound up returning to Seattle on a one-year, $2MM contract with another $2.5MM in incentives. Griffey's return to Seattle should be a great story for the 2009 campaign. Can you imagine the crowd on Opening Day?
- The Orioles signed Brian Roberts to a four-year, $40MM extension this week. Roberts said he feels the O's will be competitive in that span. I think trading Roberts for some young arms would have given the O's a better shot at competition, but they do have some good young players already. What about everyone else?
- Nate McLouth also agreed to terms on an extension through the 2011 season with a 2012 option, controlling his arbitration years and first year of free agency. He'll get $2MM in 2009, $4.5MM in 2010, and $6.5MM in 2011 to go along with a $1.5MM signing bonus. Very good value, but I've got similar questions as I did with Ryan Doumit's extension? Is this to lock him up or make him look better in a trade?
- Joe Crede finally found a home this week; he signed with the Twins on a one-year, $2.5MM deal with incentives that could take the deal to $7MM. Bargain signing for the Twins, as Crede was originally looking for a $7MM base salary. Even if his back flares up, they're only on the hook for $2.5MM. I'm surprised the Giants weren't more involved, seeing his final base salary.
- Tom Glavine finally signed as well, returning to the Braves on a one-year, $1MM deal that could reach $4.5MM with incentives. It's a low-risk move, so I can't really criticize it, but I really question how much Glavine has left...
- Lastly, could Roy Halladay be moved at some point? Blue Jays General Manager J.P. Ricciardi says that "all hell would have to break loose," but you have to imagine teams would be knocking down the door if the Jays were in the AL East cellar around the trade deadline. Ricciardi admitted, "At that point, we'd have to reevaluate."
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors