SI.com's Tom Verducci applauds Braves GM Frank Wren for making a deal early in the summer and suggests early deals for five other teams with obvious needs. Verducci doesn't suggest deals like these will happen, but he offers them up as possible fits:
- The Twins could improve at second base. What about Freddy Sanchez, Clint Barmes or Jamey Carroll?
- The Giants aren't getting much production from Travis Ishikawa at the plate, though the plus/minus system ranks him as the best defensive first baseman in the league. Verducci wonders if the Giants would use Jonathan Sanchez to acquire a player such as Jorge Cantu, Nick Johnson, Miguel Tejada or Garrett Atkins.
- The Mets would look much better with Brad Hawpe, Matt Holliday or even Mark DeRosa roaming the outfield.
- Ryan Spilborghs could help the White Sox in the outfield, as one reader suggested in today's chat.
- The Reds could use help in the outfield and at third base. Mark DeRosa can only play one position at a time, but he could be a useful addition for Cincinnati.
Would these suggestions work? Many of the players Verducci lists aren't on the block yet, but what if they were available?