Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports argues that now is not the time for the A's to shop their veteran hitters. Here are the details and some other rumors from his column:
- Matt Holliday, Jason Giambi and Orlando Cabrera have low trade value because they're hitting poorly so Rosenthal says it wouldn't make sense to trade the veterans away now. Instead, the A's could hold onto Holliday and obtain compensation picks or deal him if he keeps hitting better.
- Orlando Hudson wanted to join the Mets this offseason, but he understands why Luis Castillo's manning second base for them.
- Rosenthal wonders why AL teams aren't going after Jake Fox as a DH.
- The two clubs that called the Brewers on the weekend to see if Milwaukee really was making Corey Hart available heard that he is not on the block.
- Paul Byrd has yet to hear from anyone.
- Mark Mulder could be ready to return after the All-Star Break.
- Delmon Young "surfaced on the Braves' radar," but just briefly. An unnamed GM said acquiring Young would be a bad move when free agent hitters could be just as productive.
- The Blue Jays are more likely to pursue a left-handed slugger than a number two starter.