Reds assistant GM Bob Miller chatted with fans today for MLB.com. A few hot stove highlights:
- Miller expects all four of the Reds' infielders to return for 2010. Presumably he is referring to Paul Janish as the shortstop, along with Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, and Scott Rolen. The fan from the chat had a point – that is a stellar defensive infield. Miller shot down a fan's idea of pursuing Orlando Hudson.
- Miller hopes the Reds can come to an agreement with Jonny Gomes for next year. Shouldn't be too hard, since Gomes is under control as an arbitration-eligible player.
- Miller's philosophy on trades seems to be that everyone is available at the right price. Hard to argue with that.
- Expect the player-to-be-named from the David Weathers trade to be finalized around mid-October.
- Miller admitted that the offense is a weakness that needs to be addressed. A healthy, effective Jay Bruce and less Willy Taveras might be sufficient upgrades, in my opinion. What do you think about a Mike Cameron reunion?