Some Saturday evening links…
- Ken Rosenthal and Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports write that the Brewers asked the Pirates for Zach Duke or Paul Maholm in exchange for J.J. Hardy. Pittsburgh hoped to land the shortstop in exchange for closer Matt Capps or catcher Ryan Doumit. When the Pirates refused to budge, the Brewers pulled the trigger on the deal with Minnesota for Carlos Gomez.
- Also noted is that the Mets are considering former Indians skipper Eric Wedge as a candidate for their bench coach vacancy. The position could be a stepping stone to the head job as Jerry Manuel is in the final year of his contract. Bob Melvin and former Orioles bench coach Dave Jauss are also in the mix.
- After recently signing GM Tony Reagins to a new contract, the Angels have made a few front office changes, reports Lyle Spencer of MLB.com.
- John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer implores the Reds not to trade Bronson Arroyo or Brandon Phillips to clear payroll.
- Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun suggests that Dan Uggla would make a good fit for the Orioles. Based on conversations that Schmuck has had with beat writer Jeff Zrebiec, it doesn't seem as though the O's front office agrees.
- Marquis Grissom will not return as the Nationals' first base coach, writes MLB.com's Bill Ladson.