3:30pm: Baggarly believes DeRosa is one of multiple offers the Giants have out to free agents. He's less certain that Johnson and Scott Podsednik received offers.
1:15am: Steve Henson of Yahoo! Sports says that DeRosa is the team's top third base target because he's cheaper then Beltre, and versatile enough to move if Pablo Sandoval can stick at third.
THURSDAY, 12:22am: Baggarly writes that the Giants "might be making a subtle misdirection play to get the Florida Marlins to take a lesser return" for Uggla.
1:07pm: MLB.com's Joe Frisaro tweets that we should not rule out the Giants on Uggla - "there is still smoke." He notes that the Marlins never asked for Madison Bumgarner in return.
WEDNESDAY, 12:59am: According to Baggarly, the Giants are hoping to sign one infielder from a group that includes DeRosa, Nick Johnson, and Adrian Beltre. Hudson is also a possiblity, while Adam LaRoche is a "back-burner option." Baggarly also notes that Sabean doesn't sound too enthusiastic about pursuing Jermaine Dye, despite previous reports of the Giants' interest in the veteran: "We want to stay young," Sabean said. "That's a blanket statement, not a comment against Dye."
TUESDAY, 7:50pm: Baggarly reports that the Giants are not a serious bidder for Dan Uggla. His salary (which could be $7MM or so) and his weak glove limit the team's interest.
6:50pm: Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News has the latest on the Giants:
- Johnny Damon is not a fit for the Giants.
- Bengie Molina will not return: in the words of Giants GM Brian Sabean, "that ship has sailed."
- It's possible that Juan Uribe will reconsider the Giants' contract offer (for one year, plus an option).
Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has more:
- The Giants will move Freddy Sanchez to third base if they sign Orlando Hudson.
- Mark DeRosa , however, would fit in at the hot corner if the Giants sign him.
- Rosenthal confirms that the Giants and Padres have discussed a Kevin Kouzmanoff trade, but says the Padres aren't enticed by the Giants' youngsters.
- Rosenthal hears that Sabean has at least considered signing Jason Bay.