While the baseball world enjoys Game Four of the World Series, let's review the week that was on the rumor circuit...
- The Mets officially named Sandy Alderson their new general manager this week, and he indicated that they will not be big spenders on the free agent this winter.
- Rumors of an Ozzie Guillen for Mike Stanton swap surfaced, though the reports were later shot down. Don't expect it to happen, but that sure would be fun.
- The Blue Jays hired John Farrell to be their new manager, and Manny Ramirez wouldn't mind playing for him.
- Dave Duncan agreed to a new two-year deal to stay in St. Louis, making him the game's highest paid pitching coach.
- Bobby Valentine is the leading candidate to manager the Brewers. Unless Don Wakamatsu landing a managerial job elsewhere, he will be the Orioles' bench coach in 2011. The Marlins are leaning toward keeping interim manager Edwin Rodriguez on a full-time basis.
- The Yankees re-signed manager Joe Girardi to a new three-year, $9MM contract. They will discuss how much they're willing to offer Cliff Lee this week, and will look for a lefty reliever this offseason.
- Philadelphia has money to spend, and they have made contact with Scott Boras about Jayson Werth. The Phils are unlikely to bring Jamie Moyer back on anything but a non-guaranteed deal.
- The Mets and Hisanori Takahashi have extended their deadline to get a new contract worked out to November 5th after he hired a new agent. They offered the lefty a one-year deal recently.
- The Rakuten Golden Eagles are hoping to receive $16MM-17MM when they post righty Hisashi Iwakuma. Hiroyuki Nakajima hasn't given up on being posted.
- It's unclear if the Blue Jays will go to arbitration with Jose Bautista, or offer him a one- or multi-year deal. Jorge de la Rosa intends to test the free agent market.
- The White Sox are targeting Colby Rasmus in a trade, while their captain Paul Konerko will be a priority of the Diamondbacks this offseason. The Tigers are said to be "deeply interested" in Carl Crawford and are expected to work something out with Jhonny Peralta.
- Dan Uggla and the Marlins made some movement towards a contract extension, and David Ortiz still wants security in the form of a multi-year deal. The Giants don't figure to increase their payroll much despite going to the Fall Classic.
- Jose Molina had his 2011 option picked up by the Blue Jays, as did Matt Thornton and Ramon Castro of the White Sox. The Twins exercised Jason Kubel's option while declining Nick Punto's. The Yanks declined their options for Kerry Wood, Lance Berkman, and Nick Johnson, as did the Phillies with J.C. Romero.
- Both the Padres and Yankees signed a high profile international free agents; San Diego Edwin Moreno and New York Wilmer Romero.
- Among the players that elected free agency this week: Gabe Gross and Jeff Larish of the Athletics, Chris Gimenez and Anthony Reyes of the Indians, and Greg Dobbs of the Phillies.
- Rangers' CEO Chuck Greenberg confirmed that they will discuss a contract extension with GM Jon Daniels after the season.
- Last, but certainly not least, Pedro Martinez is looking for motivation to come back.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors