While the baseball world enjoys Game Four of the World Series, let's review the week that was on the rumor circuit...
- The Mets officially named Sandy Alderson their new general manager this week, and he indicated that they will not be big spenders on the free agent this winter.
- Rumors of an Ozzie Guillen for Mike Stanton swap surfaced, though the reports were later shot down. Don't expect it to happen, but that sure would be fun.
- The Blue Jays hired John Farrell to be their new manager, and Manny Ramirez wouldn't mind playing for him.
- Dave Duncan agreed to a new two-year deal to stay in St. Louis, making him the game's highest paid pitching coach.
- Bobby Valentine is the leading candidate to manager the Brewers. Unless Don Wakamatsu landing a managerial job elsewhere, he will be the Orioles' bench coach in 2011. The Marlins are leaning toward keeping interim manager Edwin Rodriguez on a full-time basis.
- The Yankees re-signed manager Joe Girardi to a new three-year, $9MM contract. They will discuss how much they're willing to offer Cliff Lee this week, and will look for a lefty reliever this offseason.
- Philadelphia has money to spend, and they have made contact with Scott Boras about Jayson Werth. The Phils are unlikely to bring Jamie Moyer back on anything but a non-guaranteed deal.
- The Mets and Hisanori Takahashi have extended their deadline to get a new contract worked out to November 5th after he hired a new agent. They offered the lefty a one-year deal recently.
- The Rakuten Golden Eagles are hoping to receive $16MM-17MM when they post righty Hisashi Iwakuma. Hiroyuki Nakajima hasn't given up on being posted.
- It's unclear if the Blue Jays will go to arbitration with Jose Bautista, or offer him a one- or multi-year deal. Jorge de la Rosa intends to test the free agent market.
- The White Sox are targeting Colby Rasmus in a trade, while their captain Paul Konerko will be a priority of the Diamondbacks this offseason. The Tigers are said to be "deeply interested" in Carl Crawford and are expected to work something out with Jhonny Peralta.
- Dan Uggla and the Marlins made some movement towards a contract extension, and David Ortiz still wants security in the form of a multi-year deal. The Giants don't figure to increase their payroll much despite going to the Fall Classic.
- Jose Molina had his 2011 option picked up by the Blue Jays, as did Matt Thornton and Ramon Castro of the White Sox. The Twins exercised Jason Kubel's option while declining Nick Punto's. The Yanks declined their options for Kerry Wood, Lance Berkman, and Nick Johnson, as did the Phillies with J.C. Romero.
- Both the Padres and Yankees signed a high profile international free agents; San Diego Edwin Moreno and New York Wilmer Romero.
- Among the players that elected free agency this week: Gabe Gross and Jeff Larish of the Athletics, Chris Gimenez and Anthony Reyes of the Indians, and Greg Dobbs of the Phillies.
- Rangers' CEO Chuck Greenberg confirmed that they will discuss a contract extension with GM Jon Daniels after the season.
- Last, but certainly not least, Pedro Martinez is looking for motivation to come back.
Rangers Designate Derek Lowe For Assignment Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs To Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL East Notes: Braves, Brown, Quintero Eric O'Flaherty To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Draft Notes: Appel, Gray, Shipley, Manaea, Stanek Transaction Retrospection: The Jackson-Hudson Trade Scott Proctor Retires Minor Moves: Paulino, Resop, Teahen Rangers Designate Derek Lowe For Assignment Mets Sign David Aardsma Central Notes: Pirates, Royals, Cubs Quick Hits: Gose, Dodgers, Relief Market Trade Market For Lefty Relievers Latest On Nationals, Mike Rizzo Which Players Will Be Traded This Summer? MLBTR Originals NL West Notes: Mattingly, Goldschmidt, Gregorius
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors