February 4th is a big day in contract extension history. Last year on this date, the Tigers and Justin Verlander finalized a five-year, $80MM contract while another Tiger, Curtis Granderson, agreed to a five-year, $30.25MM contract three years ago. The most notable deal was struck seven years ago, when the Cardinals and Albert Pujols avoided arbitration by agreeing to a seven-year deal worth $100MM. St. Louis picked up the $16MM option for 2011, but now they're trying to get a new deal done that will keep Pujols in town for the rest of his career.
Here's the latest from around the web, with a heavy dose of interviews and Q&A sessions...
- Pittsburgh Lumber Co. recapped a recent get together between bloggers and Pirates president Frank Coonelly, GM Neal Huntington, and pitcher Paul Maholm.
- Phoul Ballz posted some excerpts of their interview with Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr.
- The Process Report interviewed Chaim Bloom, the Rays' Assistant Director of Minor League Operations.
- DRays Bay, meanwhile, interviewed one of the newest Rays, Dirk Hayhurst.
- Blogging From The Bleachers posted a Q&A with Matt Antonelli, who signed a minor league deal with the Nationals.
- Splashing Pumpkins asked Giants' prospect Thomas Neal ten questions.
- SF Giants Rumors interviewed a different Giants prospect, Brandon Crawford.
- The Few, The Proud, The Braves listed five things they learned at a Braves' season ticket holder event.
- Beyond The Box Score looks at the possibility of a Barry Bonds comeback.
- Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness wonders if the Dodgers should have taken a look at Jim Edmonds.
- Camden Crazies likes the Justin Duchscherer signing, noting that the O's could trade him if he stays healthy during the first three months of the season.
- Through The Fence Baseball makes a case for the Pirates having baseball's best outfield.
- Some Thoughts On Baseball breaks down the Blue Jays' rebuilt bullpen.
- Yankeeist looks at the possibility of Yu Darvish becoming the next great Yankee right-hander.
- Harness The Halo sorts out the Angels' catching situation following the Mike Napoli trade.
- Earning My Stripes lists one last move the Tigers could make this offseason.
- Baseball Analysts wonders if the Phillies' rotation is a luxury, or a necessity.
- Red Sox Beacon posted part one of their series looking ahead to John Lackey's 2011.
- Ivy Report wonders if next season will be Carlos Zambrano's last chance.
- The Nats Blog looks at how the Mets' financial crisis impacts the Nationals.
- The Todd Van Poppel Rookie Card Retirement Plan came up with an idea to revolutionize bullpen usage.
- River Ave. Blues penned a requiem for the Yankees' offseason.
- MLB Depth Charts looks at some Comeback Player of the Year candidates.
If you have a suggestion for this feature, Mike can be reached here. Only one email per week, please.