April is officially in the books! Let's take a look back at the week that was:
- Major League Baseball appointed former Rangers president Tom Schieffer as MLB's Dodgers trustee. Schieffer served as Rangers' president from 1991-1999.
- Frank McCourt snapped back, calling the move "un-American" on MLB's behalf, and vowed to remain in control of the team. McCourt claimed to have a deal with FOX worth nearly $300MM, but says that MLB vetoed it.
- The Orioles acquired catcher John Hester from the D'Backs to complete the Mark Reynolds trade. Baltimore sent David Hernandez and Kam Mickolio to Arizona in exchange for Reynolds and a player to be named later.
- The Pirates returned Josh Rodriguez, the #1 overall pick in this year's Rule 5 Draft, back to the Indians. Rodriguez saw only 14 PAs with Pittsburgh, and will report to Cleveland's Triple-A affiliate. The Buccos also claimed Xavier Paul from the Dodgers this week.
- The Red Sox continue to eye catching help in the wake of the struggles of Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Jason Varitek. Bengie Molina, Chris Snyder, and Ivan Rodriguez are on their radar.
- The Giants have made Nate Schierholtz available to other clubs for the right price. Schierholtz hasn't done much offensively yet in the Major Leagues, but is a plus defender and has seen minor league success with the bat.
- In need of help at the hot corner, the Marlins considered making a run at Mark DeRosa. DeRosa hit the disabled list this week, though, so that idea will be tabled for the time being.
- Several bullpen transactions this week, including the Indians designating right-hander Jess Todd for assignment, the Rangers signing Justin Miller, the Astros releasing Cesar Carillo, and the Rockies DFA'ing Alan Johnson. For all of the week's minor moves and transactions, check out our Transactions tag or use MLBTR's Transaction Tracker.
- One week after signing a minor league deal with the Marlins, Gabe Gross decided his heart was no longer in it and officially retired. He'll take a career line of .239/.330/.385 with him. Best of luck after baseball.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors