Nationals GM Mike Rizzo made one significant trade last July, sending closer Matt Capps to the Twins for catcher Wilson Ramos. After a hot start the 23-year-old Ramos is hitting an acceptable .248/.320/.410 on the season, and he belongs in the NL Rookie of the Year discussion with Danny Espinosa, Darwin Barney, Josh Collmenter, Brandon Beachy, Fernando Salas, Craig Kimbrel, Dillon Gee, and Mark Melancon. Let's see who Rizzo might part with this year, with his team ten games out in the NL East and 6.5 out in the wild card.
- Trading Jason Marquis (pictured) at the deadline would enable the Nationals to save about $2.4MM in salary. Marquis is showing career-best control, and an ERA under 4.50 from here on out would be a reasonable expectation. Though Marquis would probably be willing to turn down an arbitration offer again to help the team, he's nowhere near Type B status. Livan Hernandez is a free agent after the season as well, but given his ties to the organization he is more likely to stay put.
- Ivan Rodriguez's value can't be quantified by his .200/.273/.322 batting line, or at least that's probably what Rizzo is telling teams about the catcher. Rizzo said last month he'd want some kind of long-term piece for Pudge. Rodriguez is earning $3MM this year.
- Reliever Todd Coffey, non-tendered by the Brewers last offseason, has a 2.13 ERA, 8.5 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 0.4 HR/9, and 44.1% groundball rate in 25 1/3 innings this year. The Rangers appear interested, and Coffey should be popular at the deadline. He's a free agent after the season and looks like a Type B in the National League. Coffey is earning $1.35MM this year plus incentives.
- Laynce Nix is an intriguing platoon bat, as he's hitting .275/.324/.506 with 28 home runs in 613 plate appearances against right-handed pitching since the beginning of the 2009 season. Type B status is a possibility once he reaches free agency after the season.
- Jerry Hairston Jr., Rick Ankiel, Alex Cora, Matt Stairs are veterans on one-year deals who could be shipped to contenders for bench roles.
- Click here to read articles about other potential sellers.
Photo courtesy of Icon SMI.