You can survey our free agent list for the upcoming offseason here. Today let's attempt to determine the best as each position.
- Catcher: Yadier Molina's option will be exercised, leaving Ramon Hernandez as the best available. Hernandez hasn't played in 100 games since '08, but he still easily tops a list of mostly backups at the position.
- First base: Prince Fielder has drawn more walks this year, but I still have to give the nod to Albert Pujols. Pujols began the year with a couple off of months and injured his wrist in June, but he's still among the game's best players.
- Second base: Robinson Cano's option will be exercised, and Brandon Phillips appears likely. Despite a lousy offensive year, Kelly Johnson might be the best second baseman standing.
- Shortstop: I like Jimmy Rollins, but I don't think you can argue for anyone other than Jose Reyes.
- Third base: The market for third basemen is terrible, but Aramis Ramirez remains a quality option.
- Left field: There's not much here, but Josh Willingham continues to display good power in a tough ballpark.
- Center field: His season hasn't been amazing, but Coco Crisp looks like the best available. I might prefer Grady Sizemore, but I think his option will be picked up.
- Right field: This is a position with significant free agent talent: Lance Berkman, Michael Cuddyer, Jason Kubel, and Carlos Beltran, even after Nick Swisher's option is exercised. This is a tough call, but I'll take Beltran. Berkman and Cuddyer could potentially enter the mix for other positions, if they're flexible on that front.
- Designated hitter: David Ortiz is the clear choice here.
- Starting pitcher: C.J. Wilson may represent better value, but C.C. Sabathia will be the best available starting pitcher if he opts out of his Yankees contract. If Sabathia re-ups quickly then Wilson would have the honors, unless Yu Darvish mounts a challenge.
- Closer: With all due respect to Ryan Madson, Jonathan Papelbon is the man here.
- Right-handed setup man: I expect Madson to continue closing, leaving our setup bracket wide open. Joel Peralta is a respectable choice, while Kerry Wood and others also merit consideration.
- Lefty reliever: Tim Byrdak, Mike Gonzalez, and George Sherrill have been tough on fellow lefties, but Darren Oliver is my pick.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors