It's time to take a look back at the week that was here at MLBTR..
- A year after retiring, 39-year-old Andy Pettitte is back with the Yankees on a minor league contract. Pettitte, a Hendricks Sports client, can potentially earn $2.5MM on the deal, which doesn't include incentives.
- The Royals signed shortstop Alcides Escobar to a four-year extension through 2015. The deal includes club options for 2016 and 2017. The contract guarantees Escobar $10.5MM through 2015 and the shortstop could earn a total of $21.75MM if the Royals exercise both of their options.
- John Lannan has drawn interest from the Red Sox, Tigers, and Astros and a deal involving the left-hander is "likely".
- The Indians and Roberto Hernandez (a.k.a. Fausto Carmona) have restructured the right-hander's contract and his 2012 salary will now be "far less" than the $7MM he was scheduled to earn. An option year in his contract has also been eliminated.
- Blue Jays hurlers Brett Cecil and Kyle Drabek are drawing attention from scouts of other teams, though the team is reluctant to move Drabek while his value is down.
- The Orioles are considering possible trades for Kyle McClellan but t's not clear if the Cardinals are ready to move the right-hander.
- The Red Sox agreed to sign Dominican right-hander Simon Mercedes to a deal including an $800K bonus. For the agreement to become official, Mercedes must pass MLB’s investigation into his age, identity and visa. Mercedes formerly presented himself as two years younger and went by the name of Jeffrey Tapia, so he has a history of identity issues.
- Extension talks between the Padres and catcher Nick Hundley have heated up this week, and an agreement could be close.
- The Royals reportedly offered Ivan Rodriguez an invitation to camp this spring. The Rays aren't considering Pudge.
- The Red Sox announced that they released pitcher Carlos Silva.
- The Rockies are on the lookout for pitching and considering Dontrelle Willis. Willis was released by the Phillies earlier in the week.
- Mets reliever D.J. Carrasco could be a trade candidate.
- The Cubs claimed right-hander Frankie De La Cruz off of waivers from the Brewers, leaving Milwaukee with one open spot on their 40-man roster.
- The Astros signed catcher Landon Powell to a minor league deal and invited him to big league camp. The A's recently released the 29-year-old SFX client.
- The A's claimed infielder Brandon Hicks from the Braves.
- The Indians re-acquired left-hander Kelvin De La Cruz from the Rangers for cash considerations.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Ervin Santana Rumors: Sunday Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez AL Notes: Santana, O's, Porcello, Masterson, Rangers White Sox, Mariners Have Discussed Viciedo Deal Week In Review: 3/2/14 - 3/8/14 Cafardo On Stanton, De Aza, Porcello, Drew, Britton Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Orioles, Barnes, D'Backs Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors