Let's take a look back at a week that was filled with contract extensions...
- The Indians extended franchise cornerstone Carlos Santana with a five-year deal that will guarantee the switch-hitting backstop $21MM. The contract has a club option for Santana's first free agent season.
- Ian Kinsler won't be reaching free agency anytime soon; the Rangers officially locked up their second baseman with a five-year, $75MM contract. The contract contains an option for a sixth year.
- Kinsler wasn't the only second baseman signing a big deal. Despite reports that the Reds may not be able to afford Brandon Phillips following Joey Votto's extension, Cincinnati inked a new six-year pact with Phillips, guaranteeing him $72.5MM.
- Extension talks with a pair of aces aren't going so smoothly, however. Cole Hamels' talks with the Phillies are going nowhere currently, and the Brewers have put negotiations with Zack Greinke and new agent Casey Close on hold.
- The Mets are considering a contract extension of their own, as they hope that David Wright performs well enough to earn himself a new long-term deal.
- The Indians signed Johnny Damon to play left field, guaranteeing him $1.25MM and with another $1.4MM worth of incentives. As we learned later in the week, Damon doesn't have an opt out date, but rather an agreement that he and GM Chris Antonetti will discuss the issue if Damon isn't receiving playing time.
- The Phillies signed Mike Fontenot to a minor league deal.
- The Padres announced this week that chairman John Moores intends to sell the team -- the same week that the sale of their NL West rival Dodgers was approved in court.
- Scott Baker's days with the Twins may be over. The right-hander will undergo season-ending elbow surgery before making an appearance. The Twinkies hold a $9.25MM option on Baker, which it seems unlikely they'll exercise.
- Transferring Baker to the 60-day DL allowed the Twins to claim Clete Thomas off waivers from the Tigers. Detroit had DFA'ed the outfielder earlier in the week. Thomas started in right field in Minneapolis today and homered in his second Twins' at-bat.
- The Padres acquired Brian Tallet from the Pirates in exchange for cash considerations or a player to be named later.
- The Red Sox lost Jacoby Ellsbury for a substantial amount of time this week due to a shoulder injury, and are now mulling over their options.They could scour the waiver wire, or, it's possible that we see the BoSox pull off an early season trade.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors