Here's the latest from around the NL East...
- The Marlins are less likely to deal Josh Johnson this offseason than they are to deal him in the weeks leading up to the July trade deadline, a source tells Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald (Twitter link).
- Also on Johnson, there is "not much traction" between the Marlins and Red Sox about a possible trade for the Miami ace, tweets WEEI.com's Rob Bradford.
- The Marlins have hired Tino Martinez as their hitting coach, reports Adam Rubin of ESPN New York (via Twitter). The Red Sox were reportedly also considering Martinez as a candidate to become their new hitting coach.
- Martinez will be the Marlins' only hitting coach, as Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Beach Sun-Sentinel reports, though some other teams carry two hitting coaches on staff.
- Phillies GM Ruben Amaro tells Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that he'd "rather pay for the player than trade for the player" in order to hold onto the Phils' minor leaguers. "I'd rather spend money but it's not an unlimited pool to work with," Amaro said. "We have some flexibility. I guess I would anticipate our payroll being similar to last year."
- The Phillies aren't planning to trade high-priced talent like Cliff Lee in an attempt to save payroll dollars, Amaro tells Brian MacPherson of the Providence Journal. "There's a reason why they're high-priced -- it's because they're good. I feel like we have a much better chance of winning with them than without them," Amaro said.
- Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post wonders if the Nationals and Zack Greinke could be a match this winter, given that the Nats almost acquired Greinke from the Royals two years ago.
- "What's not to like?" Nats GM Mike Rizzo rhetorically asked about Greinke today, tweets Amanda Comak of the Washington Times. Rizzo also said there are "five or six really intriguing starters" on the free agent market, tying into Comak's report from earlier today about the Nationals' "open-minded" search for pitching.
- Also from Comak (Twitter link), Rizzo said the Nationals want to add at least one left-handed reliever. The team has talked to both Sean Burnett and Mike Gonzalez and they'd like to bring both southpaws back in 2013. Burnett declined his mutual option last week but said he's like to stay in Washington, while Gonzalez is also open to returning, though up to 10 teams are reportedly interested in him.
Full Story | Comments (0) | Categories: Boston Red Sox | Josh Johnson | Miami Marlins | Mike Gonzalez | Philadelphia Phillies | Sean Burnett | Washington Nationals | Zack Greinke
Rangers To Sign Shin-Soo Choo Orioles' Deal With Grant Balfour Falls Through Diamondbacks To Extend Brad Ziegler Kevin Youkilis To Sign With Rakuten Golden Eagles Twins To Sign Kurt Suzuki White Sox To Sign Scott Downs Royals Acquire Danny Valencia Twins, Braves Swap Doumit For Gilmartin Marlins Sign Casey McGehee Rockies Acquire Franklin Morales For Jonathan Herrera Rockies Acquire Drew Stubbs Angels To Sign Raul Ibanez Padres To Sign Joaquin Benoit Mariners To Sign Franklin Gutierrez Yankees To Sign Matt Thornton Yankees To Sign Brian Roberts Dodgers To Sign J.P. Howell Astros Sign Matt Albers White Sox, D-Backs Swap Reed For Davidson Braves Sign Gavin Floyd Indians To Sign John Axford Cardinals To Sign Mark Ellis Twins To Sign Mike Pelfrey Dodgers To Re-Sign Juan Uribe
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
West Notes: Choo, Astros, Kotsay East Notes: Price, O's, Balfour, Braves, Marlins Central Notes: Castro, Indians, Twins, Hart Brett Pill Reaches Agreement With KIA Tigers More React To Choo Deal Twins' Colabello Rejects Offer To Play In South Korea Minor Moves: Lin, Sanchez, Sosa, Ni, Burriss Reactions To Shin-Soo Choo Signing Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Price, Davidson, Angels Rangers To Sign Shin-Soo Choo Yankees Could Stay In-House For Last Rotation Spots Quick Hits: Castro, Cubs, Balfour, Phillies, Yankees Rakuten Golden Eagles To Sign Kevin Youkilis AL Notes: Youkilis, Angels, Gimenez Latest On Orioles' Closer Situation
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors