On the most recent edition of the Rosters & Rumblings podcast, MLBTR’s Ben Nicholson-Smith and Jason Martinez of MLB Depth Charts discussed the Rays–Royals trade, Zack Greinke’s deal with the Dodgers and the most recent rumors from around MLB. Here's more from around baseball to cap off a busy Tuesday evening..
- The Cubs previously shopped Alfonso Soriano to the Astros as a possible DH, but Houston doesn't have enough money even with Chicago picking up the bulk of what is owed to him, tweets Danny Knobler of CBSSports.com. Earlier today we learned that the Phillies have talked with the Cubs about a deal for Soriano.
- Dave Cameron of U.S.S. Mariner wonders if the Mariners should now make a play for the Mets' R.A. Dickey. Cameron argues that it's something to think about if Justin Upton stays put in Arizona, Josh Hamilton returns to Texas, and if Nick Swisher passes on Seattle's offer.
- Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (via Twitter) notes that Jason Grilli's new contract with the Pirates doesn't include performance incentives for games finished. A bonus for games finished might have given an indication of his role in the bullpen going forward.
- Kevin Youkilis now joins Johnny Damon, Mark Bellhorn, Doug Mientkiewicz, Derek Lowe, Mike Myers, and Alan Embree as members of the 2004 Red Sox to later play for the Yankees, tweets Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News.
- Josh Johnson told Barry Davis of Sportsnet (video link) that he first found out about being traded to the Blue Jays via MLBTradeRumors' mobile app. If you haven't already, you can pick up the iPhone MLBTR app right here.
- The Red Sox appointed Gary DiSarcina as manager of Triple-A Pawtucket, according to Maureen Mullen of CSNNE.com (via Twitter). DiSarcina just recently agreed to serve as a special assistant to Angels GM Jerry Dipoto.