- Astros Hire A.J. Hinch As Manager
- Twins Remove Ron Gardenhire From Manager Role
- Reds Extend GM Walt Jocketty
- Diamondbacks Fire Kirk Gibson, Alan Trammell
- Diamondbacks Hire Dave Stewart As GM
- Mets To Extend Sandy Alderson, Retain Terry Collins
- Yankees Claim Eury Perez
- Braves Fire Frank Wren
- Chris Davis Suspended 25 Games
- Reds, Brewers Complete Broxton Trade
- Ron Washington Resigns As Rangers Manager
- Angels Exercise 2015 Option On Jerry Dipoto
- Diamondbacks Fire Kevin Towers
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Latest On Diamondbacks’ Managerial Search
- Rule 5 Draft Roundup
- Adam Dunn To “Probably” Retire After Season
- West Notes: Mariners, D’backs, Rangers
- AL Central Notes: Moore, Twins, White Sox
- Epstein Says Cubs Intend To Compete In 2015
- Emilio Bonifacio Changes Agents
- MLBTR Chat Transcript
- Yankees, Brian Cashman Working Toward Extension
- Latest On Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins’ Payroll
- D’Backs Notes: Roster, Gardenhire, Payroll, Coaches
- AL East Notes: Ross, Sox, Yanks, McCarthy, ARod, Rays
- NL Notes: Burnett, Hamels, Niese, Mets, Padres, Johnson
- NL Central Notes: Weeks, K-Rod, Pirates, Polanco
- Projected Super Two Cutoff
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Chris Burke Rumors
Links for Monday, as Jason Heyward hits the DL…
- Top Dominican pitching prospect Rafael DePaula admitted to using a false name and lying about his age, according to Ben Badler of Baseball America.
- Padres CEO Jeff Moorad confirmed something Tom Krasovic of AOL FanHouse reported last week. The Padres are interested in starting pitching and can spend to acquire it.
- Royals GM Dayton Moore is not yet thinking about manager Ned Yost's future, according to MLB.com's Dick Kaegel.
- MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince hears that Sal Fasano, who currently manages in Toronto's system, is an early candidate to replace Cito Gaston as the Blue Jays' manager in 2011. Fasano, 38, had an 11-year MLB career that included a stint with the Jays in 2007.
- Some GMs think the relatively small number of teams with money to spare will limit the trading we see this summer, according to ESPN.com's Buster Olney (via Twitter).
- There's not a lot of optimism within the Dodgers' organization that the club will be able to add much payroll to improve its pitching staff, writes Olney (Twitter link). Dodgers GM Ned Colletti told MLBTR's Tim Dierkes that the team's ability to make a deal depends on many variables.
- Check out Will Carroll's top ten GM candidates in this Baseball Prospectus article (subscription required).
- Nolan Ryan may be about to hire former Astros GM Gerry Hunsicker away from the Rays, according to Richard Justice of the Houston Chronicle.
- Former Astro Chris Burke is considering retirement, according to Michael Grant of the Louisville Courier-Journal. The Reds' Triple A club cut the 30-year-old over the weekend.
C. Trent Rosecrans of CNATI.com tweets that the Reds signed infielder Chris Burke to a minor league deal. Burke, 30 in March, struggled in 89 plate appearances for the Padres this year and otherwise hit .279/.351/.397 in 354 Triple A plate appearances for the Braves and Mariners. He spent most of his time in the middle infield.
Talking Chop reports that the Braves signed utilityman Chris Burke to a minor league deal. Burke, 29, has played every position but pitcher and catcher in the major leagues. In 32 games with the Padres this year, Burke's OPS was .575. More recently, he played in Triple A Tacoma in the Mariners' organization.
Burke was assigned to Triple-A Gwinnett, and struck out in a pinch hitting appearance tonight.
Baseball America released this week's set of minor league transactions, and there was plenty of interesting movement. Let's break it down.
- The Indians signed reliever Mike Gosling to a minor league pact. The Twins released Gosling earlier this month. He last pitched in the big leagues for the Reds in 2007.
- The Tigers released Jason Tyner. You probably remember that the Brewers traded Tyner to the Tigers back in April for literally nothing.
- Marlins youngster Cameron Maybin was suspended for "aggressively arguing a call and bumping an umpire."
- The Astros removed Geoff Geary from the 40-man roster and outrighted him to Triple-A.
- The Angels signed former Orioles wunderkind Val Majewski to a minor league pact.
- Chris Burke was granted free agency by the Padres. He fashioned just a .207-.270-.305 batting line in 89 plate appearances this season.
- The Giants released Jesse Foppert, who was once the best pitching prospect in the game. He hasn't pitched in the majors since 2005.
8:31pm: Dan Hayes of the North County Times says the Padres have arranged to reacquire Chris Burke. The Padres signed Burke to a minor league deal this offseason but traded him to Seattle on March 25th. MLB.com's Corey Brock has the story as well.
1:37pm: According to Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union-Tribune, Padres rookie shortstop Everth Cabrera may be out for two months due to a hand injury suffered Sunday. The Padres snagged Cabrera from the Rockies in the Rule 5 draft back in December.
Krasovic talked to Padres GM Kevin Towers, who "said he probably will look outside of the organization for a shortstop." The current starter for San Diego is Luis Rodriguez.
So who's available? Reader Chris F. suggested Oakland's Bobby Crosby. I imagine that would require the A's eating most of his $5.25MM salary. I'd expect something lower profile, like Angel Berroa or Luis Rivas.
Corey Brock of MLB.com reports that Chris Burke, who was told by the Padres on Saturday that he wouldn't make the team, has been traded to the Mariners for cash or a player to be named later.
Burke, 29, hit just .194/.310/.273 last season in 86 games for Arizona. He saw time at all four infield positions and both outfield corners for the D'Backs in 2008.
MLB.com’s Corey Brock has compiled a list of the Padres’ non-roster spring training invitees:
Right-handers Kevin Correia, Chris Britton, Greg Burke, Matt Buschmann, Gabe DeHoyos, Will Inman, Mat Latos, Edwin Moreno, Oneli Perez and Mark Prior; left-handers Arturo Lopez and Nick Schmidt; catchers Eliezer Alfonzo, Mitch Canham and Colt Morton; infielders Peter Ciofrone, Chris Burke and Kyle Blanks, and outfielders Chad Huffman and Cedric Hunter.
Padres GM Kevin Towers has said that Correia and Britton have a good chance of making the squad. Burke’s versatility might also get him a nod.
The San Diego Padres have signed Mark Prior and Chris Burke to one-year, minor league deals. The signings include invitations to Spring Training, according to Scout.com.
Buster Olney has contract info: "If Prior pitches in the major leagues, he’ll earn $1 million, and Burke — who will go into spring training with a strong chance of winning the Padres’ everyday job at second — will earn $650,000."
Paul DePodesta has more on the signings, along with info on another minor league acquisition, Virgil Vasquez.
2:01am: MLB.com has the official list.
10:05pm: Here is a list of players who were non-tendered today, and therefore became free agents.
- Aquilino Lopez
- Joey Gathright, John Bale
- Jamie Burke
- Joe Nelson
- Aaron Miles, Randy Flores, Tyler Johnson
- Norris Hopper, Gary Majewski, Matt Belisle
- Doug Mathis
- Daniel Cabrera, Lance Cormier
- Denny Bautista
- Ty Wigginton, Reggie Abercrombie
- Jonny Gomes
- Willy Taveras
- Takashi Saito, Scott Proctor, Yhency Brazoban, Angel Berroa
- Clay Hensley and Charlie Haeger
- Chris Britton and Justin Christian
- Tim Redding
- Chris Capuano
- Kevin Cash
- Chuck James
- Chris Burke, Robby Hammock, Wil Ledezma, Jeff Salazar
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Aaron Miles | Angel Berroa | Chris Burke | Chris Capuano | Chuck James | Clay Hensley | Daniel Cabrera | Denny Bautista | Joey Gathright | Jonny Gomes | Lance Cormier | Matt Belisle | Scott Proctor | Takashi Saito | Tim Redding | Ty Wigginton | Tyler Johnson | Wilfredo Ledezma | Willy Taveras
With midnight on Friday being the deadline to tender a contract to an arbitration-eligible player, ESPN’s Jayson Stark has some predictions on who could be added to the free agent market…
Pitchers: Daniel Cabrera, Chad Gaudin, Jimmy Gobble, Brandon Backe, Takashi Saito, Tyler Yates, Wil Ledezma
Hitters: Marcus Thames, Gabe Gross, John Buck, Jose Bautista, Chris Burke, Willy Taveras, Jonny Gomes
What does everyone out there think? Any other non-tender possibilities? MLBTR posted a speculative list a week ago.