- Tigers Acquire Price In Three-Team Deal With Rays, Mariners
- Marlins Acquire Jarred Cosart
- Braves Acquire James Russell, Emilio Bonifacio
- Twins Extend Kurt Suzuki
- Yankees Acquire Martin Prado
- Yankees Acquire Stephen Drew
- Orioles Acquire Andrew Miller
- Nationals Acquire Asdrubal Cabrera
- Mariners Acquire Chris Denorfia
- Brewers Acquire Gerardo Parra
- Cards Acquire Lackey For Craig, Kelly
- A's, Twins Swap Milone For Fuld
- A's Acquire Lester, Gomes For Cespedes
- Eric Chavez Retires
- Cubs Acquire Felix Doubront
- Cardinals Acquire Justin Masterson
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Explaining August Trades
- Poll: Best Trade Deadline Buy
- July Trade Recap: NL East
- July Trade Recap: AL East
- Marlins Designate Donnie Joseph For Assignment
- Outrighted: Scott Elbert, Jason Lane, Tony Abreu
- Braves Release Luis Vasquez
- Cliff Lee Re-Injures Elbow
- Matt Cain Weighing Surgery For Bone Chips
- Athletics Designate Jake Elmore For Assignment
- Recapping The Day’s Activity
- Tigers Acquire David Price In 3-Team Deal With Rays, Mariners
- Marlins Acquire Jarred Cosart, Enrique Hernandez For Colin Moran, Jake Marisnick, Comp Pick
- Yankees Designate Brian Roberts For Assignment
- Braves Acquire James Russell, Emilio Bonifacio
MLBTR Mailing List
- How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries
- Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB
- Scouting Masahiro Tanaka
- Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present
- Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals
- Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA
- Future Salary Obligations In Context
- Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings
- Why I Chose My Agency Series
- Arbitration Breakdown
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Freddie Bynum Rumors
A few notable minor league signings, courtesy of Baseball America's Matt Eddy…
- The Cardinals signed infielder Freddie Bynum. The 30-year-old spend last season in Japan, and is a career .234/.275/.379 hitter in 377 plate appearances, mostly with the Orioles and Cubs. He has experience at both middle infield spots and in the outfield.
- The Marlins signed outfielder Jorge Padilla. The 31-year-old finally made his big league debut in 2009 after a minor league career that started in 1998. He hit .120/.154/.120 in 26 plate appearances with the Nats and has performed well at the Triple-A level (.304/.372/.406).
- The Marlins also added another outfielder, 27-year-old Alex Romero. He hasn't played in the big leagues since 2009, and is a .239/.279/.339 career hitter in 299 plate appearances, all with the Diamondbacks. Romero can handle all three outfield spots.
If you're in the Northeast, here are some links to check out while you take a break from shoveling…
- ESPN's Jayson Stark ranked baseball's ten-year contracts, with Derek Jeter's soon to be completed ten-year, $189MM deal coming in as the best.
- The Marlins agreed to one-year contracts with 12 of their pre-arbitration eligible players according to MLB.com's Joe Frisaro, including Sean West, Chris Volstad, Emilio Bonifacio, and Dan Meyer.
- Brewers owner Mark Attanasio confirmed that he will be involved in long-term contract discussions with Prince Fielder, according to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel (via Twitter). Haudricourt also tweets that Attanasio and GM Doug Melvin met today to discuss the situation and there will be no deadlines imposed on the 25-year-old.
- Rich Aurilia, who stopped by the Giants' camp today, says that while he's still looking for a job, he will retire if he doesn't have one by the end of spring, tweets Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse. The 38-year-old has a broadcasting deal in place if he is unable to find a job on the field.
- Shin-Soo Choo says that he would like to stay in Cleveland long-term, writes MLB.com's Anthony Castrovince. Choo, like Morales, cut ties with his former agent (Alan Nero) in favor of Scott Boras.
- Michael Weiner, the executive director of the players' union, confirmed that the union is participating in an investigation into alleged unauthorized withdrawals from Kendry Morales' bank account by a former employee of his former agents, Hendricks Sports Management (Bill Plunkett of the OC Register reporting). Morales recently dropped HSM and hired Scott Boras.
- Bernie Miklasz of The St. Louis Post-Dispatch provides a few quotes from Albert Pujols about his contract situation. "Do I want to do this right now and take care of this so we don't need to worry about it? Of course," said Pujols. "If it happens, it happens. But there are some things I am able to control and there are other things that are out of my hands that I can't control. And that's the truth."
- The Mariners signed righty Tom Wilhelmsen to a minor league contract, according to Geoff Baker of The Seattle Times. The 27-year-old had been out of baseball since 2005 because of substance abuse issues, though he resurfaced with an independent league team last season.
- Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker passes along a report indicating the the Orix Buffaloes are moving towards a deal with Freddie Bynum. The White Sox released Bynum last week so he could pursue opportunities in Japan.
- Meanwhile, Joe Strauss of The St. Louis Post-Dispatch says that Felipe Lopez will provide the Cardinals with a great amount of flexibility.
- Joel Sherman of The New York Post calls the contracts of Alex Rodriguez, Mark Teixeira, C.C. Sabathia and other Yankee players "time-bomb contracts."
- John Tomase of The Boston Herald says the Red Sox have a deep bench with Mike Lowell, Bill Hall, Jeremy Hermida, and Jason Varitek.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Albert Pujols | Alex Rodriguez | Bill Hall | Boston Red Sox | C.C. Sabathia | Chris Volstad | Cleveland Indians | Dan Meyer | Derek Jeter | Emilio Bonifacio | Felipe Lopez | Freddie Bynum | Jason Varitek | Jeremy Hermida | Kendrys Morales | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Mark Teixeira | Miami Marlins | Mike Lowell | Milwaukee Brewers | New York Yankees | Prince Fielder | Rich Aurilia | San Francisco Giants | Sean West | Seattle Mariners | Shin-Soo Choo | St. Louis Cardinals | Tom Wilhelmsen | Transactions
The Chicago White Sox have released Freddie Bynum, according to Mark Gonzales of the Chicago Tribune (via Twitter). The Sox signed Bynum to a minor league contract earlier in the winter, but parted ways with the infielder today, allowing him to pursue opportunities in Japan.
The 29-year-old last played in the majors in 2008 with the Orioles. For his career, he has posted a .234/.275/.379 line in 188 games.