- Phillies Extend Grady Sizemore For 2015
- Braves Name John Hart President Of Baseball Operations
- Phillies Extend Jerome Williams For 2015
- Brian Roberts To Retire
- Rangers Hire Jeff Banister As Manager
- Dodgers Hire Andrew Friedman As President Of Baseball Operations
- Diamondbacks Hire Chip Hale As Manager
- Orioles Extend J.J. Hardy
- Jeff Bridich Named Rockies GM; O'Dowd, Geivett Step Down
- Josh Beckett To Retire
- Yasmany Tomas Declared Free Agent
- Astros Hire A.J. Hinch As Manager
- Twins Remove Ron Gardenhire From Manager Role
- Reds Extend GM Walt Jocketty
- Diamondbacks Fire Kirk Gibson, Alan Trammell
- Diamondbacks Hire Dave Stewart As GM
- Mets To Extend Sandy Alderson, Retain Terry Collins
- Yankees Claim Eury Perez
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Introducing The Trade Rumors App
- AL Notes: Provas, Beimel, Correa, Shields, Royals
- NL West Notes: Sandoval, Minniti, Geaney, Rockies
- Phillies Avoid Arbitration With Cesar Jimenez
- Phillies Extend Grady Sizemore For 2015
- Blue Jays Begin Contract Talks With Melky Cabrera
- Minor Moves: Mark Hamburger, Josh Stinson
- Braves Name John Hart President Of Baseball Ops
- NL East Links: Kaneko, Cuddyer, Ricciardi, Braves
- Blue Jays Receiving Calls On Adam Lind
- AL Central Notes: Aviles, Soria, Burton
- Phillies To Sign John Hester
- Twins Sell Kris Johnson To Hiroshima Carp
- Free Agent Profile: Rafael Soriano
- Angels Claim Jackson Williams From Rockies
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Hot Stove Hysteria Rumors
The Mariners dominated headlines around baseball today, agreeing to an extension with Felix Hernandez, agreeing to terms with Joe Saunders, finalizing a one-year deal with Kelly Shoppach and designating Shawn Kelley for assignment. While the bulk of the news from the AL West came from Seattle, here are some more items from around the division…
- In an interview on the MLB Network (video link), Astros GM Jeff Luhnow said he was looking forward to having Bud Norris in the rotation next season and that he wasn't currently talking to anyone about trading the right-hander. Luhnow noted, however, that the Astros' recent history has shown "we're willing to talk to any club about any player if we feel the deal furthers our strategy to develop the best young talent in baseball….We'll continue to look at all options." FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal reported on Tuesday that Norris was available and that the Cardinals, Padres and Orioles were all interested in Norris during the Winter Meetings.
- Speaking of Houston's recent moves, Luhnow's trades as Astros general manager are recapped by MLB.com's Brian McTaggart.
- "Our currency is not cash. Our currency is young players," Athletics GM Billy Beane tells CBS Sports' Danny Knobler. While the A's won't see a major payroll increase in 2013, the team has been dealing young talent in exchange for more expensive veterans this offseason since Oakland feels it can contend next season.
- The topic of a Jurickson Profar-for-David Price deal was recently posed to ESPN's Keith Law during a radio appearance, and ESPN Dallas' Richard Durrett goes further in-depth in analyzing the specifics of such a trade between the Rangers and Rays. Durrett would make the trade since it would give the Rangers a proven ace, while Law wouldn't make the deal one-for-one since Texas would be giving up too many years of team control. Law, however, doesn't think Tampa Bay would consider such an offer anyway since, "it would be very hard for the Rays to justify a deal like that with the perceived value of Price."
Here are today’s random rumor tidbits.
- The Rox are interested in Marcus Giles for their second base opening. Giles was awful last year, they should just try something internal. Other Rockies notes: contracts with Kip Wells and Luis Vizcaino aren’t quite finalized, and they may ink Victor Zambrano to a minor league deal. UPDATE: Wells, plus Mark Redman, are done deals.
- The Pirates still have their eye on Shawn Chacon and Chad Durbin. That”ll put butts in the seats. Also, Jake of Bucco Blog weighs in on a new Pirates hire.
- Speaking of Durbin, did he comment on this blog and suggest he’s headed to the NL? I’m not sure.
- Drays Bay talked to Gerry Hunsicker. Seth Speaks talked to Pat Neshek.
- New prize added to our Hot Stove Hysteria contest – three months free of Scout.com access.
- Things are mostly quiet with the Brewers, but this Tom Haudricourt blog post notes tepid discussions for Scott Rolen, Hank Blalock, and Andre Ethier.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Andre Ethier | Chad Durbin | Colorado Rockies | Hank Blalock | Hot Stove Hysteria | Kip Wells | Los Angeles Dodgers | Luis Vizcaino | Marcus Giles | Mark Redman | Milwaukee Brewers | Minnesota Twins | Pat Neshek | Pittsburgh Pirates | Scott Rolen | Shawn Chacon | St. Louis Cardinals | Tampa Bay Rays | Texas Rangers | Victor Zambrano
Anyone else ready for the Winter Meetings? It’s going to be a crazy four days. I’ll be blogging all of it nonstop. Here are some links to consider in the meantime.
- Play MLBTR’s Hot Stove Hysteria contest! Right now the prizes in my holding include a Carlos Zambrano biography and a Big Dawg Fantasy Baseball Draft Kit. If your company would like to join in on the sponsorship of the contest, email me. The deadline to enter in the contest is midnight CST tonight. If you’ve already entered but want to change yours, just make another comment with the updated list. (Please don’t email me your entry – put it in the comments of the Hot Stove Hysteria post linked above).
- U.S.S Mariner gives its take on some of the early hot stove moves.
- Yorvit Torrealba plans to test the market, with the Marlins, Mets, Brewers, and Devil Rays as possible suitors. Torrealba will give the Rockies the chance to match any offer though.
- Phil Rogers thinks Johnny Estrada might be non-tendered.
Picking up some rumors and tidbits that haven’t been otherwise posted during this busy day…
- An Atlanta TV station states that Tom Glavine would take a lot less money to play for the Braves. Also, the Astros have reportedly been in touch with him.
- Joe Torre senses that Jeff Kent will return in 2008. The Dodgers certainly hope so; he led the team with 20 home runs in ’07.
- Trey Hillman took a parting shot at Japanese reporters (hat tip to JapanBall).
- Reliever Masafumi Hirai might come over to MLB. I’ll have to learn more about him.
- Hiroki Kuroda prefers to play on the West Coast because he doesn’t like cold weather. Hmmm, Chicago might not work for him. Kuroda has declared free agency, and the Mariners are interested. There is word here that the Rangers have scouted him as well.
- The Braves are interested in Masahide Kobayashi to close, while the Mariners like him as a middle reliever (link in Japanese).
- There will be no Mike Lowell + A-Rod combo in Boston.
- Luis Gonzalez would like to return to the Tigers, while the team is interested in Cliff Floyd and Shannon Stewart for left field. Ben Broussard may also be on the radar.
- The Rangers also like Broussard, and they’ve contacted Mike Lamb as well regarding their first base vacancy. Lamb could play third if they trade Hank Blalock. Jon Daniels also has Kerry Wood in his sights.
- The Rockies like Shawn Chacon, but only as a reliever.
- Derrick Goold breaks down the options for the Cardinals at shortstop.
- Don’t forget to make an entry in our Hot Stove Hysteria contest. The deadline is November 12th. If you feel the need to edit your entry, just post a new one. They’re time-stamped; your latest entry will be used. A new prize has been added: a fantasy draft kit from Big Dawg Baseball.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Alex Rodriguez | Atlanta Braves | Ben Broussard | Boston Red Sox | Cliff Floyd | Colorado Rockies | Detroit Tigers | Hiroki Kuroda | Hot Stove Hysteria | Houston Astros | Jeff Kent | Kerry Wood | Los Angeles Dodgers | Luis Gonzalez | Masafumi Hirai | Masahide Kobayashi | Mike Lowell | Seattle Mariners | Shannon Stewart | Shawn Chacon | St. Louis Cardinals | Texas Rangers | Tom Glavine
I saw MLB.com and Bleed Cubbie Blue doing their free agent frenzies, and I felt a strong need for an MLBTR version of that contest. I’m calling it Hot Stove Hysteria, which sounds like some sort of disease from the early 1800s. I’m not technically minded or incredibly creative, so this contest will be a synthesis of the ones at MLB.com and BCB (but with an MLBTR twist).
As MLB.com does, you’ll choose the teams 15 pre-selected players will end up with. You’ll also assign a confidence level to each player, ranking from 15 to 1. So if you’re most confident Curt Schilling will sign with the Cardinals, use your 15 on that. You then tally up all the points for the correct choices only. You can only use a number once – you can’t assign two 7s, for example.
I wanted my version to be extra tricky, so I left out a few big names whose options are already limited to 2-3 teams. So, no Mike Lowell, Jorge Posada, or Mariano Rivera. Sorry. My other twist is that I’m including trade candidates in Hot Stove Hysteria.
Below are the 15 players.
You can include Retirement instead of a team name, and you certainly choose a player’s current team for free agents or trade candidates. Make your entry in the comments with in this format:
Alex Rodriguez – Angels – 15.
Torii Hunter – Rangers – 14.
Barry Bonds – Padres – 13.
Remember, you assign the numbers based on your confidence level. The deadline is November 12th at midnight CST; enter in the comments. The prize? Big-time bragging rights and a baseball book to be determined.
By the way, if you own/work for a company and would like to sponsor Hot Stove Hysteria by offering up a prize (deemed cool by me) then drop me a line. Any sponsors will be recognized, linked to, and thanked in at least two posts.
Note: Curt Schilling was removed in favor of Jose Guillen, since he seems about to sign already. This will be the only replacement.