Weekly email list
- Nationals Place Stephen Strasburg On 15-Day DL
- Cafardo’s Latest: Revere, Kennedy, Hamels, Jays
- Rosenthal On Angels, Black, Parra, Samardzija
- Braves Still Shopping Chris Johnson
- Mets’ Alderson Expresses Support For Terry Collins
- Miguel Cabrera To Miss Six Weeks
- Yankees, A-Rod Settle Home Run Milestone Dispute
- Rangers Designate Neftali Feliz, Activate Matt Harrison
- Jocketty: Reds “Prepared To Go Either Way” At Deadline
- Federal Charges Recommended For Astros Computer Breach
Trade Rumors Apps
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 Arbitration Tracker
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- NL West Notes: Frias, Giants, Maybin, Parra, Greinke, Gray
- Nationals Place Stephen Strasburg On 15-Day DL
- New York Notes: Drew, Refsnyder, Lagares
- Outfield Prospect Jorge Ona Leaves Cuba
- White Sox Won’t Dismantle At Deadline
- Braves Designate Masset, Eveland For Assignment
- MLBTR Originals
- Minor MLB Transactions: 7/5/15
- Pirates Claim Travis Ishikawa
- Phillies Acquire No. 1 Int’l Signing Slot From D’Backs
- East Notes: Ramirez, KBO, Red Sox
- NL East Notes: Maybin, Nola, Latos
- AL Central Notes: Tigers, Chisenhall, Santana
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Ray, Upton, Indians
- NL Notes: Strasburg, Mozeliak, Boras, Fernandez
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Josh Barfield Rumors
Tonight's minor moves..
- The Astros signed pitcher Armando Galarraga to a minor league deal, writes Brian McTaggart of MLB.com. The 30-year-old will help the Astros fill a rotation spot at Triple-A Oklahoma City after starter after Henry Sosa agreed to pitch in Korea.
- The Cardinals signed outfielder Lou Montanez, according to the CBSSports.com transactions page. Montanez, 30, was released by the Phillies earlier this month. The outfielder struggled in 17 games for Triple-A Lehigh Valley, hitting just .136/.264/.159 in 53 plate appearances.
- The Orioles re-signed utility player Josh Barfield and assigned him to Double-A Bowie, tweets Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com. The O's released Barfield from Triple-A Norfolk last month to make room for right-hander Jason Berken.
Today's minor moves..
- The Cubs released Triple-A Iowa right-hander Edgar Gonzalez, tweets ESPN's Doug Padilla. Gonzalez, who had a 4.09 ERA and 12-to-2 K/BB in 11 innings will pursue opportunities in Asia.
- The Reds signed catcher Koyie Hill, according to CBSSports.com's transactions page. The 33-year-old signed with the Cardinals in January but was let go just over a month ago. For his big league career, Hill owns a .211/.275/.298 slash line across parts of eight seasons.
- The Orioles released Josh Barfield from Triple-A Norfolk to make room for right-hander Jason Berken, according to Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com. The utility player has a .274/.313/.387 slash line in parts of six seasons at the Triple-A level. The O's signed the 29-year-old to a minor league deal in late March.
A look at today's minor moves..
- The Phillies released former Rangers first-round pick Kasey Kiker, tweets Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus. The left-hander spent six seasons in the Texas farm system, posting a 4.53 ERA with 9.2 K/9 and 5.2 BB/9.
- The Orioles signed second baseman Josh Barfield to a minor league deal, according to Matt Eddy of Baseball America. Barfield, 29, last appeared in the majors with the Indians in '09.
- More from Eddy (via Twitter), who reports that the Dodgers signed right-hander Kyle Smit. Los Angeles originally drafted Smit in ’06 and sent him to the Cubs in the Ted Lilly deal in 2010.
- The Rays released a number of minor leaguers, including left-handers Sergio Espinosa and Robert Dickmann, tweets Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times.
We'll keep track of all of the day's minor deals right here:
- Righty reliever Jay Sborz, 26 in January, signed a minor league deal with the Braves with a Spring Training invite, MLBTR has learned. Sborz was outrighted by the Tigers on November 4th after posting a 4.74 ERA, 8.7 K/9, 4.9 BB/9, and 1.6 HR/9 with 19 saves in 43 2/3 Triple-A innings this year.
- The Twins signed Justin Huber to a minor league contract with an invite to spring training, tweets Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune. Huber last played in the majors with Minnesota in 2009, and has a .580 OPS in 175 career plate appearances.
- The Royals announced that four players have been designated for assignment: Jordan Parraz, Victor Marte, Gaby Hernandez and former #1 overall pick Bryan Bullington.
- The Rays released first baseman Jose Ruiz, according to Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times (on Twitter).
- The Tigers announced that they signed Al Alburquerque to a major league deal for 2011. GM Dave Dombrowski says the team has been impressed with the right-hander's winter ball performance and expects him to compete for a bullpen job in Spring Training. The 24-year-old has struck out 191 batters in 174 1/3 minor league innings in the Cubs and Rockies organizations.
- The Yankees have released Jonathan Albaladejo, who signed with a Japanese team, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News (on Twitter).
- The Diamondbacks claimed right-hander Juan Jaime from the Nationals, according to MLB.com's Bill Ladson (on Twitter). The 23-year-old right-hander didn't pitch in 2010, but he has a 2.42 ERA with 11.8 K/9 and 5.7 BB/9 in 111 2/3 minor league innings.
- The Blue Jays signed Mike Hinckley, according to Matt Eddy of Baseball America. The lefty posted a 1.93 ERA in 28 games with the Nationals from 2008-09. Last year he posted 6.8 K/9 and 3.7 BB/9 in 46 2/3 innings in the upper minors.
- Josh Barfield, Ryan Feierabend and Brandon Moss all got Spring Training invitations from the Phillies according to MLB.com's Todd Zolecki.
The Padres signed second baseman Josh Barfield to a minor league deal with no Spring Training invite, reports MLB.com's Corey Brock. Barfield, 27, hit .252/.271/.331 in 319 appearances for the Indians' Triple A club in '09 and was outrighted in August.
Your Saturday night links, with more to come…
- Alden Gonzalez of MLB.com takes a look at the Cardinals' third base race. Brian Barden appears doubtful to win the job, however temporary it may be, despite a .344 spring record.
- Yankees manager Joe Girardi could decide to start the season without a designated long reliever, according to Peter Abraham of The Journal News. Alfredo Aceves, Dan Giese and Brett Tomko would be the casualties of that decision.
- Dmitri Young told Chico Harlan of the Washington Post that he plans to be on the Nationals' 25-man roster when the team heads north.
- Josh Barfield has claimed the Indians' final roster spot. His versatility apparently won him the job.
- Can't get enough of MLBTR? Follow the action on Twitter. And if you're feeling really adventurous, why not add me, your good friend Drew Silva?
The execs may be on a plane home right now, but the writers are still filing all sorts of rumors. Here’s Ken Rosenthal’s latest piece.
- Rosenthal says the Mets did not talk to the Twins about Johan Santana today, which is surprising. But they did talk earlier this week, at which point the Twins gave the Mets a list of players they liked. The Mets were fine with everyone on the list, which probably included Carlos Gomez and Mike Pelfrey. Rosenthal adds that the Mets are the only NL team firmly in the mix for Santana, and shipping him to the other league might be a factor for the Twins.
- The Giants turned down an offer of Delmon Young for Tim Lincecum before Young was sent to the Twins. This leaves skepticism that the Giants will accept three years of Alex Rios after turning down five of Young.
- The Mets made a straight up offer of Aaron Heilman for Brian Fuentes. As far as I can tell Heilman doesn’t reach free agency until after the 2010 season, so the Rockies would be doing pretty well here. Plus, they could plug him into the rotation. Oddly the dealbreaker was the Rox asking for Scott Schoeneweis as well. I thought the 34 year-old had negative trade value. Rosenthal adds that the Tribe took a glance at Fuentes as well.
- The Rox offered Jamey Carroll for Josh Barfield, which is pretty lopsided even with the year Barfield had. Of course the Indians declined.
Full Story | 0 Comments | Categories: Aaron Heilman | Brian Fuentes | Carlos Gomez | Cleveland Indians | Colorado Rockies | Delmon Young | Jamey Carroll | Johan Santana | Josh Barfield | Mike Pelfrey | Minnesota Twins | New York Mets | San Francisco Giants | Scott Schoeneweis | Tampa Bay Rays | Tim Lincecum
Side effects: the Padres now have an opening at second if they want to trade for Marcus Giles, and they probably won't make a bid for Akinori Iwamura. Kevin Towers found a creative way to acquire a third baseman without spending money. Kouzmanoff, 25, did nothing but hit in the high minors this season. Baseball Prospectus's Kevin Goldstein ranked him the tenth best third base prospect in the game despite his age and health concerns.
Barfield had an OK rookie season, with a scorching July skewing the numbers a bit. He'll be just 24 next year, so there's room for improvement.