- Chris Davis Suspended 25 Games
- Reds, Brewers Complete Broxton Trade
- Ron Washington Resigns As Rangers Manager
- Angels Exercise 2015 Option On Jerry Dipoto
- Diamondbacks Fire Kevin Towers
- Rockies Extend Jorge De La Rosa
- Dodgers Promote Joc Pederson
- Astros Fire Bo Porter
- Brewers Acquire Jonathan Broxton
- Athletics Acquire Adam Dunn
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Quick Hits: Red Sox, Martin, Cardinals
- Frank Wren’s Job Possibly In Jeopardy
- MLBTR Originals
- AL Notes: Rios, Leyva, Tanaka
- NL Central Notes: Martin, Huntington, Brewers, Cubs
- AL Notes: Soria, Indians, Cruz, Bogar
- Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Kang, O’s, D’Backs
- Yankees Designate Chaz Roe For Assignment
- AL East Notes: Rays, Tanaka, Red Sox, Tomas
- Bud Black To Return As Padres Manager
- Cafardo On Hellickson, Gardenhire, Ramirez
- The Most Improved Free Agents
- Poll: Who Will Sign Yasmany Tomas?
- Quick Hits: Wright, Pedroia, Duquette
- Rosenthal On Scherzer, Braves, Melvin
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Justin Hampson Rumors
Here's a look at today's minor moves, courtesy of Baseball America's Matt Eddy..
- The Red Sox have signed left-hander Matt Maloney to a minor league deal, according to Eddy. The 29-year-old has spent time in the big leagues in each of the past four seasons and owns a career 3.83 ERA with 7.5 K/9 and 1.9 BB/9 in Triple-A.
- The Mets have re-signed left-hander Justin Hampson, Eddy writes. The 32-year-old posted a 2.33 ERA with 8.1 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 for Triple-A Buffalo in 2012. Hampson also saw time in 13 big league games last season for the Mets and a combined 74 for the Padres in 2007 and 2008.
- The Phillies released shortstop Andres Blanco, according to Eddy. Blanco, 28, last appeared in the majors with the Rangers in 2011 and owns a career .255/.301/.333 slash line across six big league seasons.
- The Blue Jays re-signed right-hander Clint Everts, Eddy reports. Everts, who spent last season with Toronto's Triple-A affiliate, was taken with the fifth-overall pick in the 2002 draft by the Expos.
We'll keep track of the day's minor moves right here…
- The Mets removed Justin Hampson from their 40-man roster and the left-hander is now a free agent, Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com reports (on Twitter). Hampson, 32, appeared in ten games for the Mets this year, mostly in September. He spent the majority of the season at Triple-A Buffalo, where he posted a 2.33 ERA with 8.1 K/9 and 3.0 BB/9 in 65 2/3 innings.
Hampson, 32, appeared in three games and faced eight batters for New York. The left-hander allowed three hits and a walk in his first big league action since 2008.
Here's the latest from Flushing…
- SI.com's Jon Heyman hears that Bud Selig will give the Wilpons time to work through their Madoff-related issues, but there is real concern that they will not be able to keep the team in the end (Twitter links).
- Jose Reyes told ESPN New York's Adam Rubin that he prefers to wait until after the season to talk about a contract extension. "You know, this is my first time I'm going to be a free agent," said Reyes. "So I don't know what's going to happen, to be honest with you."
- Reyes later joked with MLB.com's Anthony DiComo about having a hard deadline for contract talks, saying "I'm not Albert Pujols, man." (Twitter link) Yesterday we heard that the two sides were unlikely to talk about a contract before Opening Day.
- Team owner Jeff Wilpon reiterated today that they are not going to sell controlling interest in the team, reports Andy Martino of The New York Daily News. "It's not on the table," said Wilpon.
- Rays owner Stuart Sternberg is not interested in buying the Mets, tweets Nick Cafardo of The Boston Globe. Sternberg has New York roots and has been speculated as a potential buyer.
- Baseball America's Matt Eddy reports that the Mets have signed lefty reliever Justin Hampson (on Twitter). The 29-year-old last appeared in the big league with the Padres in 2008. He spent last season with the independent Long Island Ducks.
A new trade rumor has surfaced, though Kevin Towers may have already shot it down.
The report on San Diego radio (specifically XX Sportsradio 1090) was that the Padres could send southpaw reliever Justin Hampson as well as groundball artist Clay Hensley to the Reds for Adam Dunn. Kevin Towers described this rumor as "not worth chasing" to the San Diego Union Tribune’s Tim Sullivan.
Hampson is the only lefty in the Padres’ pen, and he’s allowed just two earned runs in 22.1 innings. However, his strikeout rate is quite low and his history isn’t that impressive. The Padres insist they don’t need a southpaw in the pen, but could easily bring up Royce Ring if they trade Hampson.
After a breakout rookie season in ’06, Hensley hasn’t been able to get on track this year. He’s been battered around in 12 starts split between the Padres and Triple A. He had a fine spring but blister and groin injuries surfaced and Hensley ended up losing his rotation spot to Justin Germano.
Kevin Towers and Wayne Krivsky have matched up on a trade once before. In March of 2006, Towers sent catcher Dave Ross to the Reds for right-handed starter/former top prospect Bobby Basham.