Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports has a new column up.
- Mark Attanasio set a dangerous precedent by firing Ned Yost. Will he interfere with GM Doug Melvin’s plans in the future?
- Rosenthal considers Aubrey Huff a "highly desirable trade commodity" this winter. That begs the question – why did Huff pass through waivers unclaimed in August?
- Trading J.J. Hardy is more likely than moving him to third base. Hardy is under team control for two more seasons. The Jays, Tigers, Royals, Twins, Giants, Dodgers, and Cardinals could be in the market for a shortstop. Demand certainly outstrips supply.
- Rosenthal believes Rafael Furcal would be a nice fit for the Blue Jays. He agrees that GM J.P. Ricciardi is likely to return.
- The Orioles might prefer affordable veterans to A.J. Burnett as they try to improve their pitching staff this winter.
- Russ Ortiz wants to pitch in 2009, and he worked out for ten days a week ago. ESPN’s Jerry Crasnick first reported the workout yesterday. He says the Royals, Astros, Brewers, and Red Sox had scouts at the audition.