9:15pm: Michael Schmidt has a look at the amusing binder the Boras Corporation compiled to sell Oliver Perez.
6:31pm: Mets GM Omar Minaya commented on Manny Ramirez, indicating that he plans to invest in pitching instead.
2:34pm: The Mets expressed preliminary interest in Jon Garland and Ryan Dempster, according to Ken Davidoff. Dempster’s agent made it clear that he won’t be re-signing with the Cubs soon.
1:23pm: ESPN’s Buster Olney wrote in his blog this morning that the Mets are probably not willing to go past three years for Francisco Rodriguez or any reliever.
10:03am: More Mets chatter from Joel Sherman of the New York Post. He says the Mets and Rays have had preliminary discussions about Edwin Jackson and Andy Sonnanstine. The Rays have some interest in Aaron Heilman, though the Mets would need to give more.
Sherman believes the Mets’ interest in Ibanez is minor, and Carlos Delgado or Ryan Church would have to be dealt first.
- Puma says the Mets have Scott Boras clients Oliver Perez and Derek Lowe on the radar. Perez offers the benefit of familiarity, though he’s not likely to sign quickly. Ken Rosenthal says the Mets would probably do $12MM a year for Perez, but Boras will want more. Rubin notes that Lowe is doubly attractive to the Mets for his closing experience.
- Rubin lists the Rockies, Cardinals, Cubs, and D’Backs as potential trade destinations for Aaron Heilman. The Rays have also been connected to Heilman.
- Davidoff mentions Omar Minaya’s Javier Vazquez connection. ESPN’s Keith Law says the Vazquez to the Mets rumor "appears to have originated in the Chicago camp, and the White Sox are keen to move him."
- ESPN’s Buster Olney says the Mets inquired on Rays pitcher Edwin Jackson.
- Davidoff also points out the Mets’ interest in Raul Ibanez despite their emphasis on pitching. The Royals and Cubs are also in on Ibanez so far.