As usual, good stuff from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports…
- Rosenthal says the Yankees are open to moving Melky Cabrera, and opines that the White Sox would be a perfect fit. Trading Cabrera would open up the Yankees' outfield picture for sure, but leave them shakier in center with Brett Gardner and Nick Swisher. Rosenthal also says the White Sox have expressed some interest in a deal to acquire Gary Matthews Jr., assuming the Angels pay "the vast majority of the $33MM remaining on the final three years of his contract."
- Pedro Martinez reached out to the Royals before they signed Sidney Ponson, but KC couldn't afford him. Would Pedro have been a better signing than Horacio Ramirez and Willie Bloomquist? Martinez's friends are telling him his $5MM asking price is unrealistic. Rosenthal says that if Pedro drops it down to $1-2MM, he can probably get the Dodgers and other teams involved.
- The Marlins are looking for relief help. They like Will Ohman but not his $2MM asking price.
- The A's thought they were close to a $1.7MM deal for Joe Beimel before he went to the Nats for $300K more.
- Catcher Ronny Paulino, acquired by the Phillies from the Pirates in December, is available. Rosenthal considers the Marlins a possible fit.