Just a few weeks away from Opening Day after a long offseason! Let's take a look at the last week:
- The Red Sox and Jon Lester agreed on a five-year, $30MM extension with a $13MM option for 2014. Lester was great in 2008, and Boston rewarded him with the largest contract ever for a pitcher with two years of service time. Lester's rebound from cancer has been a great story, and this extension is another nice chapter.
- A lot of talk about where Pedro Martinez will end up lately. We've heard him linked to the Pirates, the Dodgers are curious about him, and he was even mentioned as a closer candidate for the Cardinals earlier this month. According to Buster Olney, there's a "zero percent chance" that the Mets will sign Pedro. He's looking for about $5MM-$8MM last we heard, which is hurting teams' interest levels.
- Chad Cordero finally found a home this week; he'll attempt to make a comeback in Seattle. The Mariners signed him to a minor league deal and he'll make $750K if he makes the big league club. Great move for both sides. The Mariners make a low-risk move on a guy who's been an outstanding closer, and Cordero goes to the team that gives him the best opportunity to close.
- Joe Beimel is close to signing with a team as well. The Padres are apparently out, but we could see him land with the A's or Dodgers still.
- Any team in need of pitching could have two options available via trade as Spring Training winds down. Both Jeff Niemann and Jason Hammel are out of options, and when David Price claims his spot in the Rays' rotation, one of them will likely have to go.
- Don't look for any new faces in the Bronx. The Yankees won't be trading for anyone to replace Alex Rodriguez for the beginning of the season.
- On the other side of New York, the Mets released Duaner Sanchez this week. Sanchez hasn't been able to regain his velocity following an accident while riding in a taxi back in 2006. Sanchez will attempt a comeback as a Padre; he signed with San Diego earlier today.
- Offseason in Review updates from Tim this week included the Pirates, Athletics, Braves, Tigers, and Rockies.
- It may be a small sample size, but if you're curious to see how the top free agents from the offseason are faring so far, Cork did a nice write-up of their progress so far in Spring.
Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Stark Previews Winter Meetings NL West Notes: Dodgers, Kemp, D'Backs, Uribe NL East Rumors: Marlins, Morrison, Rodriguez Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Astros Sign Chad Qualls Minor Moves: Wily Mo Pena, Corky Miller Baseball Blogs Weigh In: Lincecum, Ellsbury, Granderson Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Yankees Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Qualifying Offer And Draft Pick Compensation Update AL East Notes: Beltran, Red Sox, Orioles Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Yankees Receiving Significant Interest In Brett Gardner Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Rakuten Golden Eagles May Not Post Masahiro Tanaka
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors