It's the last week of June, which means things are really going to start picking up around here in the coming weeks. I'm looking forward to it, how about everyone else? Let's run down the past week:
- One question we've been hearing a lot lately: Where will Mark DeRosa end up? How about parked right behind Albert Pujols in the Cardinals' lineup? St. Louis acquired DeRosa and made a big commitment to 2009 by sending Chris Perez and a player to be named later to Cleveland for the 34-year-old Swiss army knife. Given the Indians bullpen struggles, this move makes sense for both sides. The Cardinals may have given up a piece of their future, but DeRosa's strong production from 2008 has carried into 2009 and he'll vastly improve the club's playoff chances. Anyone see his catch in left for his St. Louis debut? Heck of a way to make an impression on his new fans.
- The Brewers are looking to add some more pieces to the club, and we've heard that they'd like an arm to fill a spot in a struggling rotation. Doug Davis has been mentioned, but even though the Diamondbacks are ready to sell, they're going to have high demands given the lack of sellers on the market. Who else makes sense for the Crew, keeping in mind that they don't want to move any top prospects?
- The Yankees may be in search of a bat, with Xavier Nady needing season-ending Tommy John surgery. We'd heard that Brian Cashman wasn't planning on adding a bat, but he was likely envisioning a healthy Nady in his lineup when he made that comment.
- Jarrod Washburn is having a nice rebound season, and apparently Ned Colletti and the Dodgers have taken notice. The Dodgers have been rumored to have interest in the 35-year-old lefty, but the Mariners may not be ready to sell yet. They're just three games back themselves.
- One pitcher that's almost certainly not available made some headlines this week. Josh Johnson's agent said that the Marlins ace will seek a contract along the lines of what A.J. Burnett and C.C. Sabathia received from the Yankees this season. Can Johnson command a $100MM+ contract when he's a free agent in 2012?
- The Twins designated Luis Ayala for assignment this week, after seeking out manager Ron Gardenhire and requesting a trade three weeks ago. Ayala apparently wanted to be the Twins' 8th inning setup option... but likely had an ERA around the mid-4.00s to upper 5.00s given the reported time of the trade request. Not a good time to complain about your role in the 'pen, Luis. But hey, maybe you can pitch the 8th in Pittsburgh; the Pirates are interested in you.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Minor Moves: Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors