Lots of interesting stuff around the league today, including a triple play and Ichiro's 2,000th hit. Here's your look back at the past seven days!
- About an hour after losing to the Twins on Monday, White Sox GM Kenny Williams had traded Jim Thome to the Dodgers and Jose Contreras to the Rockies. Thome will provide some big-time thunder off the LA bench, and while I questioned the Rockies' acquisition, Contreras held the Diamondbacks in check just fine in his Colorado debut. Here's some additional reactions to the Thome trade.
- The Dodgers weren't done there though. They solidified their rotation this week when they added Jon Garland, and also acquired Ronnie Belliard. Have the depth moves from the Dodgers strengthened them enough to be postseason favorites in the NL, or does that honor go to the Phillies or Cardinals? We've got additional thoughts on the Garland and Contreras trades as well.
- The other question on everyone's mind was, "Where is Brad Penny going to end up?" Penny signed on with the Giants and absolutely blanked the Phillies in his first appearance. If you're a struggling AL East starter... the NL will apparently cure what ails you.
- If you're a Royals fan, something else may be ailing you. The Royals extended general manager Dayton Moore's contract through 2014 this week. Moore has drawn heavy criticism for excessive spending on marginal free agents, and putting together a team that's mustered just a .311 OBP this season. Can he right the ship over the duration of this next contract?
- Speaking of OBP and the AL Central, this week we heard that the Twins will have enough money to re-sign Joe Mauer if the megastar hits free agency. Mauer's posting a completely ridiculous line of .367/.435/.607 so far this year. Many consider him to be a lock for MVP even though the Twins' playoff hopes are diminishing. However, signing a catcher to the type of long-term deal Mauer will be receiving is a risky play. Is this just talk from the Twins front office, or can you see them ponying up and competing with the big spenders in this case?
- The Cardinals extended both Ryan Franklin and Trever Miller this week, with Franklin getting two years and $6.5MM and Miller getting $2MM in 2010 plus a vesting option for 2011. My initial thought is that it's a lot of money for two aging relievers, but then again both have been brilliant thus far. Since signing his extension however, Franklin's nearly doubled his earned run total on the season. Probably not much to worry about... it's jumped from 6 to 10. Yeah, he's been that good.
- The Rays acquired Sean Rodriguez as the player to be named later in the Scott Kazmir trade this week. That completes quite a nice haul for Kazmir, especially given his struggles this year. It's easy to forget though, that Kazmir is just 25. He's still young, tremendously talented, and moving out of the AL East certainly can't hurt.
- Curious to see who the top free agents will be after the season? Check out the list of probable Type A free agents.
- Tim's back with his Offseason Outlook series, and the first installments feature the Royals and Nationals.
- Want to see what the glamorous life of an MLBTR writer is like? We're on the lookout for new writers again. If you've got evening availabilty and are interested, here's the details.
Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire Mets And Pirates Working On Ike Davis Trade Diamondbacks Designate Ryan Rowland-Smith White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Brewers Sign Jeremy Jeffress Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment Freddy Garcia Close To Signing With Team In Asia Chicago Notes: Samardzija, Hoyer, Hoffman, Sale Several Teams Interested In Manny Ramirez
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors