It's officially Winter Meetings time! New thread for links as the folks in Indianapolis begin to wake up and get going:
- Joel Sherman of the New York Post tweets an interesting situation: the Cubs and Yankees both like Mike Cameron, while the Cubs like the Yanks' Melky Cabrera. The Cubs will need to clear payroll space before they can try for Cameron though. Also muddying the picture: both clubs may have interest in Curtis Granderson.
- ESPN's Buster Olney is hearing that the starting pitching market is "intensifying."
- Larry Stone of the Seattle Times has all kinds of amusing Winter Meetings memories from years past, and he explains why the Meetings were cancelled for five years in the nineties.
- David Lennon of Newsday says Mets COO Jeff Wilpon is not scheduled to come to Indianapolis this week, suggesting the team won't be signing major free agents at the Meetings.
- The Dodgers met with Nick Green's agent, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown. Green, 31, hit .236/.303/.366 in 309 plate appearances for the Red Sox this year while playing all around the infield (mainly shortstop).
- The Mariners have begun preliminary negotiations with Russell Branyan, according to Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Branyan already rejected an offer from the Mariners in November. The Mets appear to be among Branyan's other suitors.
- Jon Heyman reports, via Twitter, that Adrian Beltre is "not likely" to accept Seattle arbitration offer. They'll still likely try to retain him, however. It might be difficult to keep Branyan, Beltre, and Jose Lopez, with Ken Griffey Jr. already signed.
- In case you were wondering, Morosi tweets that nothing is cooking with the Braves and Diamondbacks for Derek Lowe. Nor are the D'Backs in on Bronson Arroyo.
- Dan Uggla doesn't like the uncertainty surrounding what uniform he'll be wearing in five months. The Marlins slugger says he still sees himself as a second baseman, though many teams would like to move the 30-home run machine to third base. Matt Lindstrom is in a similar spot.
- Andy MacPhail told Steve Melewski that free agents are beginning to look at Baltimore in a different light, thanks to the great reviews their farm system is getting in the national media. That said, Melewski still feels that if the O's add a big name this offseason, it'll be through a trade.
- Alex Speier takes a look at what pieces the Red Sox could potentially use as trade bait.
- Joel Sherman explains why Andy Pettitte is so important to the Yankees, why personal relationships matter among GMs, and the Mets struggles in finding a taker for Luis Castillo.
- Mark Feinsand gives Yankee fans five situations to watch this week, including Pettitte, Roy Halladay, Johnny Damon, the Tigers, and Hideki Matsui.
Full Story | Comments (13) | Categories: Adrian Beltre | Andy Pettitte | Arizona Diamondbacks | Atlanta Braves | Baltimore Orioles | Boston Red Sox | Bronson Arroyo | Chicago Cubs | Cincinnati Reds | Curtis Granderson | Dan Uggla | Derek Lowe | Detroit Tigers | Hideki Matsui | Johnny Damon | Jose Lopez | Ken Griffey Jr. | Los Angeles Dodgers | Luis Castillo | Matt Lindstrom | Melky Cabrera | Miami Marlins | Mike Cameron | New York Mets | New York Yankees | Nick Green | Roy Halladay | Russell Branyan | Seattle Mariners | Toronto Blue Jays
Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Alderson On Shortstop, First Base, Rotation, Murphy Ellsbury Contract Is A Guidepost For Shin-Soo Choo MLB, NPB Reach Agreement On Posting System NL West Notes: Uribe, Ibanez, Young, Morse, Ichiro Rakuten Golden Eagles May Not Post Masahiro Tanaka Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson New York Notes: Cashman, Santana, Pelfrey, Ibanez Week In Review: 12/1/13 - 12/7/13 AL East Notes: Price, Orioles, Axford, Hinske Astros Sign Scott Feldman Yankees Open To Trading Ichiro Suzuki Central Notes: Pirates, Royals, White Sox West Notes: Cano, Astros, Padres, Dodgers East Notes: Rays, Phillies, Mets More Than 15 Teams Interested In Andrew Bailey
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors