Let's take a look back at the hot stove happenings from January 8-14th, 2009. So much changes in a year...
- The Mets signed Tim Redding and were preparing an offer for Randy Wolf. I wonder where Oliver Perez would've gone had the Mets signed Wolf.
- The Braves signed Kenshin Kawakami to a three-year deal and Derek Lowe for four years. Those moves led to this winter's Javier Vazquez trade.
- Scott Boras got Willie Bloomquist a two-year deal from the Royals.
- Orlando Cabrera, Juan Cruz, Jason Varitek, Ben Sheets, and others languished in compensation-pick purgatory as Type A free agents who had been offered arbitration. Currently only Jose Valverde still has this problem.
- The Brewers agreed to terms with Trevor Hoffman on a $6MM deal. Hoffman leaving San Diego was one of the offseason's biggest surprises. Another one: the Red Sox signing John Smoltz. The Sox also added Takashi Saito.
- Cliff Lee was open to an extension with the Indians. Instead, he was traded twice in the year that followed.
- A reminder how quickly a surplus can disappear: the Yankees discussed trading Nick Swisher or Xavier Nady.
- Upon being asked to move to third base, Michael Young requested a trade from the Rangers.
- Adam Dunn was still looking for four years and $56MM. He settled on two years, $20MM from the Nationals in February.
- Paul Byrd decided to sit out the first half of the season. Pedro Martinez was weighing possibilities, but ultimately sat out as well. I'm curious to see who this year's midseason mercenaries will be.
- The Dodgers prepared to release Andruw Jones.
Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016 Jose Bautista, Ervin Santana Leave Proformance Angels Outright John Hester, Robert Carson Ervin Santana Rumors: Saturday Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors