Let's take a look back at the hot stove happenings from January 8-14th, 2009. So much changes in a year...
- The Mets signed Tim Redding and were preparing an offer for Randy Wolf. I wonder where Oliver Perez would've gone had the Mets signed Wolf.
- The Braves signed Kenshin Kawakami to a three-year deal and Derek Lowe for four years. Those moves led to this winter's Javier Vazquez trade.
- Scott Boras got Willie Bloomquist a two-year deal from the Royals.
- Orlando Cabrera, Juan Cruz, Jason Varitek, Ben Sheets, and others languished in compensation-pick purgatory as Type A free agents who had been offered arbitration. Currently only Jose Valverde still has this problem.
- The Brewers agreed to terms with Trevor Hoffman on a $6MM deal. Hoffman leaving San Diego was one of the offseason's biggest surprises. Another one: the Red Sox signing John Smoltz. The Sox also added Takashi Saito.
- Cliff Lee was open to an extension with the Indians. Instead, he was traded twice in the year that followed.
- A reminder how quickly a surplus can disappear: the Yankees discussed trading Nick Swisher or Xavier Nady.
- Upon being asked to move to third base, Michael Young requested a trade from the Rangers.
- Adam Dunn was still looking for four years and $56MM. He settled on two years, $20MM from the Nationals in February.
- Paul Byrd decided to sit out the first half of the season. Pedro Martinez was weighing possibilities, but ultimately sat out as well. I'm curious to see who this year's midseason mercenaries will be.
- The Dodgers prepared to release Andruw Jones.
Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Rockies Acquire Brett Anderson D-Backs Acquire Mark Trumbo In Three-Team Deal With Angels, White Sox White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Adam Kennedy Planning Comeback Mariners Acquire Logan Morrison Nationals Acquire Jerry Blevins Astros, Tigers Interested In Joba Chamberlain Royals, Yankees Talking To Omar Infante Shin-Soo Choo Rumors: Wednesday David Price Rumors: Wednesday Mariners To Sign Corey Hart Jerry Hairston Jr. Retires Corey Hart Weighing Options Dodgers Tell Kemp's Agent They Have No Plans To Trade Him Pirates Extend Charlie Morton Eight Teams Showing Interest In Johan Santana Matt Garza Could Sign Within 48 Hours Latest On The Brewers' First Base Search
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors