Happy 2010 to everyone! I hope the rest of your holidays were great as well, and you're off to a good start in the new year. Let's take a look back at the past week here around MLBTR:
- One of the biggest names in free agency found a home this week, as Jason Bay agreed to terms with the Mets on a four-year, $66MM deal with a vesting option for a fifth year. While it's probably not what Bay had envisioned going into the offseason, he still managed to secure himself at least four years that average out to more than double his 2009 salary. Here's some initial reactions to the deal (I'm with Keith Law on this one, for the record).
- The Cubs dished out the next-biggest contract of the week, when they signed Marlon Byrd to a three-year, $15MM contract. Byrd had a career year in 2009, though his home/road splits and inconsistent defense in center field would've been enough to deter me. Still, it's not an outrageous price to pay, and he'll likely perform well enough to justify the contract in end.
- The Giants added some offense to their lineup as well, signing Mark DeRosa to a two-year deal worth $12MM. DeRosa predictably fell far short of his initial three-year, $27MM asking price, and the Giants got him on a much more reasonable deal. He'll be joined in San Francisco by Juan Uribe, who agreed to return to the Giants this week after a great 2009 season.
- The Giants weren't the only NL West team to ink two players. The Diamondbacks added both Bob Howry and Kelly Johnson on one-year deals. Howry will earn $2MM in 2010 with a $3MM option for 2011. Johnson will earn $2.35MM with the D'Backs. Both low-cost signings make sense for the Diamondbacks, and Johnson still has some upside.
- Sticking in the NL West for one more bullet point, the Rockies are nearing a deal with Miguel Olivo. After spending weeks trying to work things out with Yorvit Torrealba, the Rox seem to have moved on. Olivo is likely to receive a one-year deal with a club option for 2011.
- The A's made their signing of Justin Duchscherer official this week. Duchscherer will receive just $2MM guaranteed, with another $3.5MM in incentives. Based on his tremendous 2008 campaign, the A's are getting a fantastic value on this deal.
- The Phillies agreed to a two-year deal with Danys Baez this week. Coming off a mediocre season, I wasn't expecting Baez to fetch multiple years. However, in a world where Brandon Lyon gets three years, I suppose anything's possible.
- The Aroldis Chapman sweepstakes may be heating up. The Blue Jays hosted a private workout for the phenom this week, while the Angels appear to be gearing up for an offer.
- Tim offers up his take on the best and worst signings of this offseason so far, while Ben and Mike compiled all of the multi-year deals and trades so far, respectively.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors