Happy Valentine's Day, baseball lovers. Let's take a look back at the past week:
- With a $5MM gap to settle, Tim Lincecum's arbitration hearing with the Giants loomed on the horizon, but was avoided last minute on Friday. "The Freak" signed a two-year, $23MM deal, so Giants fans can rest easy for now anyway. Earlier in the week we also heard that a three-year, $37MM offer was on the table.
- Not all arbitration cases were avoided, however, as Corey Hart won his case against the Brewers, while B.J. Upton lost his with the Rays.
- One of the most feared hitters of the 1990s and 2000s hung it up this week, when Frank Thomas officially announced his retirement. The Big Hurt will finish up with 521 home runs and a .301/.419/.555 line to his credit. I don't know about you, but a career .974 OPS is pretty good in my book. Congrats on a phenomenal career, Frank.
- Thomas wasn't the only big name from in recent history to officially retire. Tom Glavine also announced his retirement this week. For his career, Glavine notched 305 wins, a 3.54 ERA, two Cy Young Awards and four other Top 3 finishes in the voting. Glavine will take a job as a special assistant to Braves team president John Schuerholz.
- He may be getting up there in the years as well, but Carlos Delgado's not calling it quits just yet. The free agent slugger won't retire, and may sign somewhere midseason. It looks like Pedro Martinez and John Smoltz might take similar routes. Hey, it worked pretty well for Pedro last year.
- Earlier in the week, we looked at whether or not Scott Boras had failed some of his clients, such as Johnny Damon, Jarrod Washburn, or Felipe Lopez. Apparently Lopez thinks the answer is "yes," because he fired everyone's favorite super-agent this week. Lopez is still without work, despite great offense and defense in 2009. Maybe Boras will have better luck with his newest client, Kendry Morales.
- Anyone looking for an all-speed fourth outfielder? The A's released Willy Taveras this week just days after taking on the veteran center fielder in a trade with the Reds in order to get Adam Rosales as well.
- Chien-Ming Wang has offers and will make a decision in the near future. It's looking like the Nationals are the clear front-runner for the right-hander's services. Wang would join Jason Marquis and provide a clear upgrade and some stability to the Nats' rotation if healthy.
- Adeiny Hechevarria, a 19-year-old Cuban shortstop that ESPN's Jorge Arangure has dubbed "the next big thing out of Cuba," is generating a lot of interest. Six teams recently watched Hechevarria, who could receive an offer in excess of $10MM.
- The Orioles have been active this offseason, and may not be done yet. They have some interest in free agent lefty Jarrod Washburn, who is said to be content to wait for the right offer. Tough to say if Washburn presents a clear upgrade over a youngster like Chris Tillman, but at this point, you have to figure the price tag would be pretty minimal.
- Minor league deals were handed out like candy this week. Just to name a few: Marcus Thames with the Yankees, Will Ohman in Baltimore, Hisanori Takahashi with the Mets, and Jacque Jones is back with Minnesota. To see the rest of the deals, check out our Transactions section.
Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For AssignmentMariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Alfonso Soriano More Open To Approving Trade Yankees Claim David Huff, Designate Rondon Mets Notes: Wheeler, Wright, Duda, Davis Camden Riversharks Sign Wilson Valdez White Sox Outright Angel Sanchez Rangers Claim Joe Benson Red Sox Notes: Lackey, Henry, Draft Quick Hits: Yankees, Dodgers NL Notes: Amarista, Nationals, Morse, Krol Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For Assignment Mariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Central Notes: Reds, Cubs, Morneau Minor Moves: Dan Klein, Zach Braddock, Royce Ring Draft Links: Manaea, McGuire, Prep Catchers East Links: Braves, Nolin, Wheeler, Wada
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors