We're a week into the MLB season and there's been tons of action on and off the field. Let's take a look back at the week that was...
- The Red Sox signed Josh Beckett to a four-year $68MM extension. The righty was set to join Brandon Webb, Jorge de la Rosa and Ted Lilly as one of the top free agent pitchers after the season. Intsead, he'll anchor Boston's rotation with Jon Lester, John Lackey and Clay Buchholz, who are all under team control through 2014.
- The Brewers signed Yovani Gallardo to a five-year $30.1MM extension apparently based on the one the Red Sox signed Lester to. It's the biggest deal signed by a pitcher with less than three years of service time.
- We heard that Pedro Martinez plans to pitch again this year. Pedro would like to pitch in the NL for an East coast contender, so it sounds as though the Phillies could be a fit for the second consecutive year. The Mariners, Twins and Dodgers were also linked to the three-time Cy Young Award winner.
- Another free agent pitcher, Jarrod Washburn, has drawn interest from as many as five clubs according to agent Scott Boras. The D'Backs and Indians were linked to Washburn this week.
- Pedro could fit in Philly eventually, but the NL Champs went after a less recognizable pitcher for the time being, claiming Nelson Figueroa from the Mets.
- Not to be outdone, the AL Champs made a waiver claim of their own. The Yankees grabbed Chad Huffman from the Padres.
- We heard that there have not been extension talks for free agents-to-be Paul Konerko and A.J. Pierzynski.
- The Pirates released Ramon Vazquez after designating him for assignment.
- Jack Cust cleared waivers and accepted a minor league assignment.
- The Reds designated a couple noteworthy players for assignment themselves: Aaron Miles and Wladimir Balentien.
- A couple outfielders inked new deals: the Twins signed Jason Repko and the Somerset Patriots signed Ryan Freel.
- We heard that Mike Lowell plans to retire after the season.
- Tim previewed contract issues the Angels, Braves, A's, Blue Jays, Braves and Brewers will face leading up to the 2011 season.
- Check out Tim's offseason questions for the NL Central and NL West.
- Mike broke down the largest contracts by service time and position and took stock of the best trade chips in the NL West and NL Central.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Kipnis, Sizemore, Mulder Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors