Several contenders might be looking for help at first base, including the Rockies, Angels, Giants, and Rangers. Potentially available players:
- Prince Fielder, Brewers. The Brewers are listening on Fielder, though we haven't heard much about interested parties. Fielder is under team control through 2011, after which point he'll pursue an extension worth well over $100MM.
- Adam Dunn, Nationals. Dunn is losing patience with the Nationals due to their lack of urgency about an extension, reports ESPN's Buster Olney. The White Sox have interest in Dunn, who might be forced to fill a designated hitter role for them. Dunn profiles as a Type A free agent, at least in the National League.
- Lance Berkman, Astros. Like Dunn, Berkman could technically play outfield for a few months. Berkman has a full no-trade clause and $8.46MM left on his contract. He's up to .255/.369/.459 on the season.
- Derrek Lee, Cubs. The Cubs should probably consider trying to clear some of the $5.79MM still owed to Lee. The problem: he's yet to slug .400 in any month this season, and his strikeout rate is his highest in a long time.
- Adam LaRoche, Diamondbacks. LaRoche is more affordable than those listed before him ($3.51MM remaining), but he hasn't hit much since May. He's consistently posted big second halves.
- Jorge Cantu, Marlins. Aside from the 52 RBIs, Cantu isn't having an impressive season. Even if ownership doesn't require it, clearing his $2.67MM salary is a solid baseball move.
- Ty Wigginton, Orioles. Wiggy made the All-Star team with a strong April and May, and he'll be a useful piece for a contender.
- Mike Lowell, Red Sox. As we wrote yesterday, Lowell hasn't played the field much and the Red Sox would have to pay his entire salary.
- Xavier Nady, Cubs. The Rangers have strong interest in Nady, reported Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago a few days ago. Nady hasn't done anything offensively this year, but he hasn't played regularly either. He's got $1.47MM remaining plus performance bonuses.
- Kila Ka'aihue, Royals. Ka'aihue, 26, already has 77 walks for the Royals' Triple A club (and a .463 OBP). Certainly there are teams out there that would like to see how much of that skill translates to the Majors.
- Russell Branyan, Mariners. It was an odd acquisition, but maybe Jack Zduriencik feels that he can trade Branyan again for more than he gave up.
- Casey Kotchman, Mariners. The Mariners would have to eat most of his remaining $1.57MM to move him now, as Kotchman is a probable non-tender after the season.
- Lyle Overbay, Blue Jays. If you like Derrek Lee, you should like Overbay more. Overbay is having a better year, especially lately, and has $3.12MM remaining.
- Recently MLBTR also profiled the market for catchers, second basemen, shortstops, and third basemen.
Jason Bartlett To Retire Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Pirates Acquire Ike Davis From Mets Fallout From The Ike Davis Trade Yankees Designate Cesar Cabral For Assignment Minor Moves: Brian Omogrosso, Ji-Man Choi, Rafael Perez Jason Bartlett To Retire Mets And Pirates Working On Ike Davis Trade Diamondbacks Designate Ryan Rowland-Smith White Sox Place Donnie Veal On Outright Waivers Brewers Sign Jeremy Jeffress Athletics Extend Sean Doolittle Rangers Designate Andy Parrino For Assignment Red Sox Designate Ryan Roberts For Assignment Freddy Garcia Close To Signing With Team In Asia Chicago Notes: Samardzija, Hoyer, Hoffman, Sale Several Teams Interested In Manny Ramirez
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors