Several contenders might be looking for help at first base, including the Rockies, Angels, Giants, and Rangers. Potentially available players:
- Prince Fielder, Brewers. The Brewers are listening on Fielder, though we haven't heard much about interested parties. Fielder is under team control through 2011, after which point he'll pursue an extension worth well over $100MM.
- Adam Dunn, Nationals. Dunn is losing patience with the Nationals due to their lack of urgency about an extension, reports ESPN's Buster Olney. The White Sox have interest in Dunn, who might be forced to fill a designated hitter role for them. Dunn profiles as a Type A free agent, at least in the National League.
- Lance Berkman, Astros. Like Dunn, Berkman could technically play outfield for a few months. Berkman has a full no-trade clause and $8.46MM left on his contract. He's up to .255/.369/.459 on the season.
- Derrek Lee, Cubs. The Cubs should probably consider trying to clear some of the $5.79MM still owed to Lee. The problem: he's yet to slug .400 in any month this season, and his strikeout rate is his highest in a long time.
- Adam LaRoche, Diamondbacks. LaRoche is more affordable than those listed before him ($3.51MM remaining), but he hasn't hit much since May. He's consistently posted big second halves.
- Jorge Cantu, Marlins. Aside from the 52 RBIs, Cantu isn't having an impressive season. Even if ownership doesn't require it, clearing his $2.67MM salary is a solid baseball move.
- Ty Wigginton, Orioles. Wiggy made the All-Star team with a strong April and May, and he'll be a useful piece for a contender.
- Mike Lowell, Red Sox. As we wrote yesterday, Lowell hasn't played the field much and the Red Sox would have to pay his entire salary.
- Xavier Nady, Cubs. The Rangers have strong interest in Nady, reported Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago a few days ago. Nady hasn't done anything offensively this year, but he hasn't played regularly either. He's got $1.47MM remaining plus performance bonuses.
- Kila Ka'aihue, Royals. Ka'aihue, 26, already has 77 walks for the Royals' Triple A club (and a .463 OBP). Certainly there are teams out there that would like to see how much of that skill translates to the Majors.
- Russell Branyan, Mariners. It was an odd acquisition, but maybe Jack Zduriencik feels that he can trade Branyan again for more than he gave up.
- Casey Kotchman, Mariners. The Mariners would have to eat most of his remaining $1.57MM to move him now, as Kotchman is a probable non-tender after the season.
- Lyle Overbay, Blue Jays. If you like Derrek Lee, you should like Overbay more. Overbay is having a better year, especially lately, and has $3.12MM remaining.
- Recently MLBTR also profiled the market for catchers, second basemen, shortstops, and third basemen.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals Chase Headley Extension Remains Unlikely NL Notes: Medlen, Cubs, Padres, Rockies
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors