Several contenders might be looking for help at first base, including the Rockies, Angels, Giants, and Rangers. Potentially available players:
- Prince Fielder, Brewers. The Brewers are listening on Fielder, though we haven't heard much about interested parties. Fielder is under team control through 2011, after which point he'll pursue an extension worth well over $100MM.
- Adam Dunn, Nationals. Dunn is losing patience with the Nationals due to their lack of urgency about an extension, reports ESPN's Buster Olney. The White Sox have interest in Dunn, who might be forced to fill a designated hitter role for them. Dunn profiles as a Type A free agent, at least in the National League.
- Lance Berkman, Astros. Like Dunn, Berkman could technically play outfield for a few months. Berkman has a full no-trade clause and $8.46MM left on his contract. He's up to .255/.369/.459 on the season.
- Derrek Lee, Cubs. The Cubs should probably consider trying to clear some of the $5.79MM still owed to Lee. The problem: he's yet to slug .400 in any month this season, and his strikeout rate is his highest in a long time.
- Adam LaRoche, Diamondbacks. LaRoche is more affordable than those listed before him ($3.51MM remaining), but he hasn't hit much since May. He's consistently posted big second halves.
- Jorge Cantu, Marlins. Aside from the 52 RBIs, Cantu isn't having an impressive season. Even if ownership doesn't require it, clearing his $2.67MM salary is a solid baseball move.
- Ty Wigginton, Orioles. Wiggy made the All-Star team with a strong April and May, and he'll be a useful piece for a contender.
- Mike Lowell, Red Sox. As we wrote yesterday, Lowell hasn't played the field much and the Red Sox would have to pay his entire salary.
- Xavier Nady, Cubs. The Rangers have strong interest in Nady, reported Bruce Levine of ESPNChicago a few days ago. Nady hasn't done anything offensively this year, but he hasn't played regularly either. He's got $1.47MM remaining plus performance bonuses.
- Kila Ka'aihue, Royals. Ka'aihue, 26, already has 77 walks for the Royals' Triple A club (and a .463 OBP). Certainly there are teams out there that would like to see how much of that skill translates to the Majors.
- Russell Branyan, Mariners. It was an odd acquisition, but maybe Jack Zduriencik feels that he can trade Branyan again for more than he gave up.
- Casey Kotchman, Mariners. The Mariners would have to eat most of his remaining $1.57MM to move him now, as Kotchman is a probable non-tender after the season.
- Lyle Overbay, Blue Jays. If you like Derrek Lee, you should like Overbay more. Overbay is having a better year, especially lately, and has $3.12MM remaining.
- Recently MLBTR also profiled the market for catchers, second basemen, shortstops, and third basemen.
Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros To Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Astros, Papelbon, Happ, Betancourt Central Notes: Phillips, Axford, Joba, Buck Yankees Notes: Infante, Price, Drew, Choo NL West Notes: Kemp, Veras, Crain, Padres Reaction & Analysis Of Robinson Cano's Contract Red Sox Links: Mujica, Payroll, Drew Notes On Granderson, Beltran, Napoli Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Minor Moves: Thames, Tekotte, McDade Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Indians Notes: Albers, Carson, Antonetti Market Reset: 2013-14 Free Agent Spending To Date Orioles Notes: Free Agents, Johnson, Wolf, Feldman Phillies Shopping Jonathan Papelbon
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors