It's time for a special Fourth of July edition of the Week In Review..
- The Diamondbacks cleaned house, firing GM Josh Byrnes and manager A.J. Hinch. Jerry DiPoto is the new interim GM and Kirk Gibson has been appointed the interim skipper. DiPoto wasted little time getting started in his new role, calling the Red Sox about Chris Snyder.
- Bengie Molina was sent from the Giants to the Rangers in a deal that was made official on Thursday. In order to move the catcher, San Francisco had to kick in cash considerations. The Giants received Michael Main and Chris Ray in the trade.
- Several teams are in the mix for Cliff Lee, including the Phillies. However, the club considers themselves to be long-shots in the Lee sweepstakes. They won't be the only NL East team looking at Lee. Meanwhile, the M's are looking ahead to 2011-2012.
- More Phillies news as the club has Dan Haren "on their radar". The Diamondbacks have reportedly been scouting the club's farm system to identify prospects for a deal. The Nats have also expressed interest in the hurler and the Cards are said to covet him.
- After lots and lots of talk on Sunday, Bobby Valentine ultimately did not agree to manage the Marlins. Florida has yet to find their new skipper.
- Josh Willingham would like to work out a new deal with the Nationals, but he continues to be mentioned in trade rumors as we approach the deadline. The Braves are said to be interested in him, as well as Corey Hart and Jose Bautista.
- Willy Taveras was released by the Phillies after being signed by them earlier in the month.
- The international signing period got underway this week and on Saturday MLBTR learned that the Braves agreed to terms with Mauricio Cabrera, a Dominican right-hander. Other signings include the Tigers inking Venezuelan outfielder Danry Vasquez and the A's picking up third baseman Renato Nunez. We're going to see a ton of international signings in the coming weeks.
- No surprise here: Yanks president Randy Levine expects impending free agents Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera to be back with the club.
- Both the White Sox and Angels are being linked to Adam Dunn.
- The Astros made a minor deal, shipping Kevin Cash to the Red Sox. This is the catcher's second stint with Boston.
- The Yankees are looking for bench help, and they may be zeroing in on Ty Wigginton.
- Jermaine Dye is still a free agent, but perhaps not for long. Three teams are looking at the veteran outfielder: Texas, Colorado, and San Diego.
- Pitcher Sean Gallagher was designated for assignment by the Padres.
- Hank Blalock is reportedly a player of interest in the Angels' front office. The 29-year-old was DFA'd by Tampa Bay on Tuesday.
- The Halos signed two of their three first-round picks, Cameron Bedrosian and Chevez Clarke.
- The Nats signed Orlando Hernandez to a minor league pact on Friday. El Duque will report to the club's training complex in Florida and may pitch for Triple-A Syracuse at some point this year.
- Oakland got Boof Bonser on a minor league deal shortly after the hurler was DFA'd by Boston.
- Brian Bruney will look to pitch in New York again, this time for the Mets. The club signed the well-traveled reliever to a minor league deal.
- Tim learned that the next Super Two cutoff will require fewer days of service time than usual.
- Mike MacDougal opted out of his deal with the Nats.
- The Astros signed infielder Ramon Vazquez to a minor league deal on Friday.
- The Mets signed catcher Michael Barrett to a minor league contract.
- Toronto's Jeremy Reed elected free agency after being outrighted by the club.
- Chad Tracy was DFA'd by the Cubs but elected free agency instead of reporting to the minors.
- Even with a payroll of $97MM, the Twins are willing to spend more.
- The Phillies DFA'd Brian Bocock in order to free up a spot for Cody Ransom.
- Florida designated Brian Barden for assignment as he failed to do much offensively in 2010.
- Ben gave us a look at the upcoming free agents and how they're performing thus far.
- Our own Howard Megdal penned a great read on Bobby Bo.
Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Quick Hits: Astros, Beltran, Orioles Quick Hits: Red Sox, Pirates, A's West Notes: Giants, Rangers, A's East Notes: Red Sox, Mets, Jays Blue Jays, Orioles In Play For Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Castellanos, Davis, Armstrong MLB Unlikely To Change Qualifying Offer Before 2016 Jose Bautista, Ervin Santana Leave Proformance Angels Outright John Hester, Robert Carson Ervin Santana Rumors: Saturday Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Quick Hits: Perez, Pineda, Mariners, Ramirez, A's Minor Moves: Wil Ledezma Diamondbacks To Sign Oliver Perez Ervin Santana Seeks To Sign One-Year Deal Before Opening Day
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors