It's time for a special Fourth of July edition of the Week In Review..
- The Diamondbacks cleaned house, firing GM Josh Byrnes and manager A.J. Hinch. Jerry DiPoto is the new interim GM and Kirk Gibson has been appointed the interim skipper. DiPoto wasted little time getting started in his new role, calling the Red Sox about Chris Snyder.
- Bengie Molina was sent from the Giants to the Rangers in a deal that was made official on Thursday. In order to move the catcher, San Francisco had to kick in cash considerations. The Giants received Michael Main and Chris Ray in the trade.
- Several teams are in the mix for Cliff Lee, including the Phillies. However, the club considers themselves to be long-shots in the Lee sweepstakes. They won't be the only NL East team looking at Lee. Meanwhile, the M's are looking ahead to 2011-2012.
- More Phillies news as the club has Dan Haren "on their radar". The Diamondbacks have reportedly been scouting the club's farm system to identify prospects for a deal. The Nats have also expressed interest in the hurler and the Cards are said to covet him.
- After lots and lots of talk on Sunday, Bobby Valentine ultimately did not agree to manage the Marlins. Florida has yet to find their new skipper.
- Josh Willingham would like to work out a new deal with the Nationals, but he continues to be mentioned in trade rumors as we approach the deadline. The Braves are said to be interested in him, as well as Corey Hart and Jose Bautista.
- Willy Taveras was released by the Phillies after being signed by them earlier in the month.
- The international signing period got underway this week and on Saturday MLBTR learned that the Braves agreed to terms with Mauricio Cabrera, a Dominican right-hander. Other signings include the Tigers inking Venezuelan outfielder Danry Vasquez and the A's picking up third baseman Renato Nunez. We're going to see a ton of international signings in the coming weeks.
- No surprise here: Yanks president Randy Levine expects impending free agents Derek Jeter and Mariano Rivera to be back with the club.
- Both the White Sox and Angels are being linked to Adam Dunn.
- The Astros made a minor deal, shipping Kevin Cash to the Red Sox. This is the catcher's second stint with Boston.
- The Yankees are looking for bench help, and they may be zeroing in on Ty Wigginton.
- Jermaine Dye is still a free agent, but perhaps not for long. Three teams are looking at the veteran outfielder: Texas, Colorado, and San Diego.
- Pitcher Sean Gallagher was designated for assignment by the Padres.
- Hank Blalock is reportedly a player of interest in the Angels' front office. The 29-year-old was DFA'd by Tampa Bay on Tuesday.
- The Halos signed two of their three first-round picks, Cameron Bedrosian and Chevez Clarke.
- The Nats signed Orlando Hernandez to a minor league pact on Friday. El Duque will report to the club's training complex in Florida and may pitch for Triple-A Syracuse at some point this year.
- Oakland got Boof Bonser on a minor league deal shortly after the hurler was DFA'd by Boston.
- Brian Bruney will look to pitch in New York again, this time for the Mets. The club signed the well-traveled reliever to a minor league deal.
- Tim learned that the next Super Two cutoff will require fewer days of service time than usual.
- Mike MacDougal opted out of his deal with the Nats.
- The Astros signed infielder Ramon Vazquez to a minor league deal on Friday.
- The Mets signed catcher Michael Barrett to a minor league contract.
- Toronto's Jeremy Reed elected free agency after being outrighted by the club.
- Chad Tracy was DFA'd by the Cubs but elected free agency instead of reporting to the minors.
- Even with a payroll of $97MM, the Twins are willing to spend more.
- The Phillies DFA'd Brian Bocock in order to free up a spot for Cody Ransom.
- Florida designated Brian Barden for assignment as he failed to do much offensively in 2010.
- Ben gave us a look at the upcoming free agents and how they're performing thus far.
- Our own Howard Megdal penned a great read on Bobby Bo.
White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Roy Halladay To Retire Marlins To Sign Garrett Jones Astros Sign Chad Qualls Yankees To Sign Carlos Beltran Red Sox To Re-Sign Mike Napoli Nationals To Sign Nate McLouth Rangers To Sign J.P. Arencibia Astros Sign Scott Feldman Mets To Sign Curtis Granderson Mariners To Sign Robinson Cano Yankees To Re-Sign Hiroki Kuroda Orioles To Sign Francisco Peguero Orioles To Sign Ryan Webb Marlins To Sign Rafael Furcal White Sox To Sign Ronald Belisario Dodgers Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Cubs Interested In Storen, Clippard Nelson Cruz Rumors: Monday Marlins Telling Teams They Will Trade Logan Morrison Shortly Jeff Samardzija Rumors: Monday AL West Notes: Zduriencik, Walker, Andrus, Anderson Astros Release Eric Thames Mark Trumbo "In Play" On Trade Market Bartolo Colon's Market Heating Up David Price Rumors: Monday White Sox Sign Felipe Paulino Twins Making Push For Bronson Arroyo Indians Sign David Cooper Red Sox Notes: Drew, Carp, Peavy, Dempster Indians, Orioles Have Shown Interest In Jason Hammel Indians Nearing Deal With David Cooper
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors