We saw some big news this week, most notably that Albert Pujols and the Cardinals did not reach an extension prior to his Feb. 16 deadline. Let's take a look at the rest of the highlights:
- The Cardinals' reported offer to Pujols was incredibly low (relatively speaking of course) -- in the range of $19MM-$21MM per season. Despite not reaching an agreement, Pujols wants to play in St. Louis for his entire career. Here's some more reactions to Albertageddon.
- Jose Bautista mashed 54 homers last season, and the Blue Jays are believers. They locked the right fielder/third baseman up for the next five years with a $64MM contract. The Jays hold a $14MM option on a sixth year for Bautista.
- The Brewers signed Rickie Weeks to a four-year extension that guarantees the former #2 overall pick $38.5MM. Milwaukee also holds an option on Weeks that could bring the deal to $50MM.
- Elsewhere in the NL Central, the Cubs locked up their closer when they signed Carlos Marmol to a three-year deal worth $20MM. On a similar note, the Padres will discuss an extension with their own closer, Heath Bell, this Spring.
- The Rockies and Matt Belisle agreed to a two-year deal that will guarantee the setup man $6.125MM. Colorado also inked John Maine to a minor league deal that will pay him $3MM if he makes the club.
- The Rangers will discuss extending C.J. Wilson and other unnamed players. Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports speculated that Neftali Feliz and Elvis Andrus are candidates.
- In arbitration news, we saw Hunter Pence win his case against the Astros, while both Delmon Young and Kelly Johnson avoided hearings by agreeing to one-year deals. Young will make $5.375MM, while Johnson will be paid $5.85MM after a brilliant rebound season.
- C.C. Sabathia is expected to opt out of his contract following the 2011 season. It'd be a weak free agent class, and Sabathia would clearly be the top available arm. Another AL lefty, Mark Buehrle, said he's leaning toward playing after 2011 even though he's discussed retirement before.
- Roy Oswalt and Cole Hamels both discussed their futures, with Oswalt undecided about pitching after 2011 and Hamels saying he wants to stay in Philadelphia long-term.
- Kosuke Fukudome wants to remain in Major League Baseball after his contract expires this season, preferably with the Cubs. The results on Fukudome have underwhelmed, but he does have a career .368 OBP in MLB.
- Scott Boras will serve as an adviser to potential #1 overall pick Anthony Rendon in 2011. Boras represented the past two number one picks -- Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper.
- Ronald Belisario may miss the 2011 season as a result of visa issues.
- Notable minor league signings in addition to Maine's deal include Russell Branyan with the D'Backs and Scott Podsednik with the Blue Jays. Check our transactions section for more minor moves.
- Two of the game's elite sluggers for the better part of a decade officially retired this week. Jim Edmonds hung up the spikes, and Gary Sheffield officially filed his papers as well. Best of luck to both players.
Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Mariners To Sign Willie Bloomquist Blue Jays To Sign Dioner Navarro Twins To Sign Phil Hughes Rays To Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Twins Sign Ricky Nolasco Reds Re-Sign Manny Parra Dodgers Sign Dan Haren Rays Sign Jose Molina Cardinals Sign Jhonny Peralta
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL East Notes: Yankees, Ellsbury, Red Sox, Peguero NPB Officials Planning To Accept $20MM Maximum Posting Fee NL Notes: Mets, Nats, Reds, Samardzija, Rockies, D-Backs Orioles Interested In Choo, Cruz, Jimenez AL West Notes: Rangers, Arencibia, Kazmir, Hughes, Mariners Dodgers Nearing Agreement With Brian Wilson Central Notes: Tigers, Castellanos, Beltran, Konerko, Twins Cubs Sign Wesley Wright Mariners Could Make Move To Acquire David Price AL Notes: Fister, Blue Jays, Orioles, Rays Red Sox Notes: Bradley, Drew, Napoli, Pierzynski Ellsbury Notes: Yankees, Red Sox, Gardner, Choo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Minor Moves: Pridie, Brewers, Twins NL East Notes: Lincoln, Coghlan, Morrison
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors