Let's take a look at the last week as we continue to creep up on the 2011 season...
- The Cardinals may have lost Adam Wainwright for the year, but they'll wait two weeks before making a big push for a replacement starter. Wainwright's teammate, Chris Carpenter, clarified his comments that he'd accept a trade. He said that while he wouldn't hold the Cardinals back from such a move, he's not looking to be traded and expects his team to contend, even without his fellow ace.
- Cards' GM John Mozeliak may have difficulty finding any help, though. Just ask Yankees' GM Brian Cashman. According to Cashman, "nobody's available" on the trade market. The Yankees have been connected to Francisco Liriano on and off, and we heard a report this week the the Twins turned down an offer of Ramiro Pena and Ivan Nova.
- The Mariners acquired Aaron Laffey from the Indians in exchange for 25-year-old minor league infielder Matt Lawson. Seattle also signed its 2010 fourth-round pick James Paxton, who wasn't restricted by the August signing deadline because he played in the independent leagues in 2010.
- The Laffey trade was likely made in order to open a spot on Indians' 40-man-roster for Chad Durbin, who the Tribe signed for $800K on a Major League deal this week. Cleveland also signed Nick Johnson to a minor league deal this week.
- The Rangers agreed to a four-year extension with general manager Jon Daniels. Under Daniels, the Rangers have seen their win total increase for three straight seasons, culminating in their 2010 World Series berth.
- While no official extension was agreed, Orioles owner Peter Angelos said that Baltimore's president of baseball operations, Andy MacPhail, will likely be around beyond the 2011 season.
- Cody Ross may have spent less than half a season with the Giants, but he's already got a ring there and he wants to stay in San Francisco longterm. He and his agent approached the club about an extension at the onset of Spring Training.
- Scott Boras' client profile is constantly expanding, it seems. However, he lost one of his marquee names this week when Mark Teixeira dropped his services, saying their relationship had "run its course."
- Spring Training is hardly as active as the Winter Meetings or July trade deadline, but the Angels will still be looking to make something happen. They're on the lookout for a left-handed bat to add to their club.
- J.D. Drew is considering retirement following the 2011 season, but he was far from the only retirement news that surfaced this week. Garret Anderson officially called it a career, and Bob Howry filed his papers as well.
Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Astros To Promote George Springer Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript Blue Jays Designate Marcus Walden, Outright Jeremy Jeffress Padres Offered Headley Three Years, $33-39MM In Offseason AL Central Notes: White Sox, Abreu, Dozier, Cabrera AL West Notes: Pujols, Elias, Mariners' Payroll, Astros Agent Says D'Backs Should Promote Archie Bradley Rays' Matt Moore To Undergo Tommy John Surgery Quick Hits: Puig, Yankees, Lester, Tigers, Blackouts
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors