It's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- This week we learned that the Red Sox and manager Terry Francona have decided to part ways. In eight years as Boston's manager, Francona amassed a 744-552 record, reaching the playoffs five times and winning two AL pennants. However, the partnership could not survive after the team's meltdown in the final month of the season.
- The Marlins introduced Ozzie Guillen as their new manager and his four-year contract is reportedly worth about $10MM. To land the outspoken skipper, the Fish sent reliever Jhan Marinez and infielder Osvaldo Martinez to the White Sox as compensation. The Marlins also got right-hander Ricardo Andres in the swap.
- The Marlins' managerial post became available when Jack McKeon announced his retirement. The last-place Marlins posted a 39-48 record under the octogenarian after manager Edwin Rodriguez resigned in June.
- Meanwhile, Rays bench coach Dave Martinez is at the top of Chicago's managerial wish list. The White Sox also like Yankees bench coach Tony Pena for the job.
- The Angels announced that General Manager Tony Reagins resigned, though he'll remain with the club as a special assistant. The Halos haven't been to the playoffs since 2009 and wrapped up the 2011 campaign with 86 wins.
- The White Sox and Sergio Santos agreed to a three-year, $8.25MM deal. The contract includes three guaranteed years (2012-14) and three option years for the White Sox (2015-17). The deal appears to be modeled on the one Joakim Soria signed with the Royals in 2008.
- Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp is a year away from hitting free agency and if they don’t lock him up by the time the 2012 season starts, it appears that he’ll test the open market. Agent Dave Stewart says that he hopes to complete an extension for by Opening Day 2012.
- The Marlins are more likely to look internally for third base help than they are to sign a major free agent like Aramis Ramirez. Meanwhile, Ricky Nolasco appeared to be off-limits as recently as July, but the Marlins will reportedly give serious thought to trading Nolasco this offseason.
- Yankees president Randy Levine says that he wants general manager Brian Cashman to continue in his current role after the season, when Cashman’s contract expires.
- On Wednesday when the Red Sox thought they might wind up in a play-in game on Thursday, they considered acquiring a starter specifically for that game. Royals lefty Bruce Chen was among Boston's trade targets but ultimately they decided against such a move and it turns out there was no play-in game for Boston anyway.
- There has been speculation that Billy Beane could leave the A's for another job, possibly with the Cubs, but Beane said that he plans on staying in Oakland in 2012.
- Jimmy Rollins finds the prospect of free agency "exciting," and the shortstop says that he's looking for a five-year deal on his next contract.
- The Athletics have received outfielder Eliezer Mesa from the Rockies to complete the Mark Ellis trade. Colorado acquired Ellis from Oakland for a player to be named later at the end of June.
- The Cubs have DFA'd right-handers Justin Berg and Brian Schlitter for assignment and put Carlos Zambrano back on the club's 40-man roster.
- The Marlins reached an agreement with second baseman Omar Infante on a two-year contract believed to be worth $8MM. The Marlins acquired Infante in last November's Dan Uggla trade and plugged the 29-year-old in at second base this year.
- The Indians announced that they exercised their 2013 option for manager Manny Acta. Acta's three-year contract had been set to expire after the 2012 season.
- The Mets have exercised Terry Collins' contract option for 2013. The manager signed a two-year deal for 2011 and 2012 last November, but GM Sandy Alderson has been pleased enough with Collins' work that he will bring him back for a third year.
- Dodgers owner Frank McCourt has told GM Ned Colletti that he will have the money needed to sign Clayton Kershaw, Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier to long-term contracts this off-season and the money required to compete in the free-agent market.
- 45-year-old knuckleballer Tim Wakefield says that he wants to pitch an 18th season for the Red Sox next year.
- On Tuesday, the Athletics acquired first baseman Kila Ka'aihue from the Royals for minor league pitcher Ethan Hollingsworth.
- The Twins claimed right-hander Esmerling Vasquez off of waivers from the Diamondbacks.
Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres To Release James Darnell Mets Acquire Eric Young For McHugh; Designate Cowgill Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Dodgers Claim John Baker Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Yankees, A's, Royals, White Sox, Mariners Quick Hits: Biogenesis, Boldt, Astros, Ramirez Trade Deadline Notes: Closers, Phillies, Buyers Draft Signings: Gonsalves, Williams, Monda, Hannemann Astros Notes: Appel, Free Agency Rockies To Remove Francis From Roster, Add Oswalt Braves Sign First-Rounder Jason Hursh Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres Request Release Waivers On James Darnell Astros To Sign Mark Appel Suspensions Likely In Biogenesis Case Quick Hits: Norris, Ethier, Blue Jays, Phillies Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr., Designate Collin Cowgill
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors