It's time to take a look back at the week that was..
- This week we learned that the Red Sox and manager Terry Francona have decided to part ways. In eight years as Boston's manager, Francona amassed a 744-552 record, reaching the playoffs five times and winning two AL pennants. However, the partnership could not survive after the team's meltdown in the final month of the season.
- The Marlins introduced Ozzie Guillen as their new manager and his four-year contract is reportedly worth about $10MM. To land the outspoken skipper, the Fish sent reliever Jhan Marinez and infielder Osvaldo Martinez to the White Sox as compensation. The Marlins also got right-hander Ricardo Andres in the swap.
- The Marlins' managerial post became available when Jack McKeon announced his retirement. The last-place Marlins posted a 39-48 record under the octogenarian after manager Edwin Rodriguez resigned in June.
- Meanwhile, Rays bench coach Dave Martinez is at the top of Chicago's managerial wish list. The White Sox also like Yankees bench coach Tony Pena for the job.
- The Angels announced that General Manager Tony Reagins resigned, though he'll remain with the club as a special assistant. The Halos haven't been to the playoffs since 2009 and wrapped up the 2011 campaign with 86 wins.
- The White Sox and Sergio Santos agreed to a three-year, $8.25MM deal. The contract includes three guaranteed years (2012-14) and three option years for the White Sox (2015-17). The deal appears to be modeled on the one Joakim Soria signed with the Royals in 2008.
- Dodgers outfielder Matt Kemp is a year away from hitting free agency and if they don’t lock him up by the time the 2012 season starts, it appears that he’ll test the open market. Agent Dave Stewart says that he hopes to complete an extension for by Opening Day 2012.
- The Marlins are more likely to look internally for third base help than they are to sign a major free agent like Aramis Ramirez. Meanwhile, Ricky Nolasco appeared to be off-limits as recently as July, but the Marlins will reportedly give serious thought to trading Nolasco this offseason.
- Yankees president Randy Levine says that he wants general manager Brian Cashman to continue in his current role after the season, when Cashman’s contract expires.
- On Wednesday when the Red Sox thought they might wind up in a play-in game on Thursday, they considered acquiring a starter specifically for that game. Royals lefty Bruce Chen was among Boston's trade targets but ultimately they decided against such a move and it turns out there was no play-in game for Boston anyway.
- There has been speculation that Billy Beane could leave the A's for another job, possibly with the Cubs, but Beane said that he plans on staying in Oakland in 2012.
- Jimmy Rollins finds the prospect of free agency "exciting," and the shortstop says that he's looking for a five-year deal on his next contract.
- The Athletics have received outfielder Eliezer Mesa from the Rockies to complete the Mark Ellis trade. Colorado acquired Ellis from Oakland for a player to be named later at the end of June.
- The Cubs have DFA'd right-handers Justin Berg and Brian Schlitter for assignment and put Carlos Zambrano back on the club's 40-man roster.
- The Marlins reached an agreement with second baseman Omar Infante on a two-year contract believed to be worth $8MM. The Marlins acquired Infante in last November's Dan Uggla trade and plugged the 29-year-old in at second base this year.
- The Indians announced that they exercised their 2013 option for manager Manny Acta. Acta's three-year contract had been set to expire after the 2012 season.
- The Mets have exercised Terry Collins' contract option for 2013. The manager signed a two-year deal for 2011 and 2012 last November, but GM Sandy Alderson has been pleased enough with Collins' work that he will bring him back for a third year.
- Dodgers owner Frank McCourt has told GM Ned Colletti that he will have the money needed to sign Clayton Kershaw, Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier to long-term contracts this off-season and the money required to compete in the free-agent market.
- 45-year-old knuckleballer Tim Wakefield says that he wants to pitch an 18th season for the Red Sox next year.
- On Tuesday, the Athletics acquired first baseman Kila Ka'aihue from the Royals for minor league pitcher Ethan Hollingsworth.
- The Twins claimed right-hander Esmerling Vasquez off of waivers from the Diamondbacks.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Kipnis, Sizemore, Mulder Ervin Santana Rumors: Tuesday NL Notes: Taveras, Stutes, Flores, Cervelli Minor Moves: Rodriguez, Stutes, Hester, Carson, Olmsted Offseason In Review: Chicago White Sox Out Of Options Players: NL East MLBTR Chat Transcript Orioles Notes: Machado, Extensions, Santana, Schoop Kris Medlen Believed To Have Ligament Damage Angels Release Mark Mulder Central Links: Diaz, Scherzer, Capuano, Indians, Coke Quick Hits: Schierholtz, Diaz, Smoak, McGrady AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors