It's time to take a look back at the week that was with MLBTR's Week In Review..
- This week Major League Baseball announced that its owners and players have come to terms on a brand new collective bargaining agreement. The new deal includes radical changes to draft pick compensation, limits amateur spending, and adds one wild card entrant to each league. It was also announced that Type A free agents Matt Capps, Francisco Cordero, Octavio Dotel, Ramon Hernandez and Darren Oliver will now be treated as Type B free agents. For a list of ten highlights from the CBA, take a look at our easy-to-read post.
- More than half of ranked free agents received offers of arbitration from their teams this week. We took a look at some of the more interesting arbitration decisions and listed the decisions in the the National and American Leagues.
- The Red Sox managerial search is down to two finalists: Bobby Valentine and Tigers' third base coach Gene Lamont. Blue Jays' first base coach Torey Lovullo is out of the running. The team is expected to name either Lamont or Valentine as their manager in the coming week.
- Justin Verlander won the American League MVP award to go with his Cy Young. Meanwhile, Ryan Braun won the 2011 NL MVP over Matt Kemp, teammate Prince Fielder, and Justin Upton.
- The Rangers agreed with Joe Nathan on a two-year deal that includes a team option for 2014. Nathan will earn $7MM in 2012 and 2013 and the club holds a $9MM option for 2014 ($750K buyout). He can also can earn up to $1MM in incentives based on games finished and the 2014 option can vest based on games finished in '13.
- Grady Sizemore re-signed in Cleveland for a base salary of $5MM with up to $4MM in incentives.
- The Reds are offering Yonder Alonso as trade bait in their search for a closer or a No. 2 starter. Reds GM Walt Jocketty has spoken to several teams about Alonso, though we heard earlier this week that the Reds thought Alonso was too much to give up for Oakland closer Andrew Bailey.
- The Twins agreed to sign Ryan Doumit to a one-year deal. The deal is worth $3MM and includes performance bonuses. The 30-year-old posted a .303/.353/.477 line in 236 plate appearances for the Pirates in 2011.
- The Yankees agreed to terms with Freddy Garcia on a one-year deal. Garcia, 35, signed a minor league deal in February and delivered a surprisingly strong 3.62 ERA in 146 2/3 innings.
- The Angels are believed to be interested in Yoenis Cespedes as well as free agent relievers Scott Linebrink and Ryan Madson,
- The Royals agreed to sign Bruce Chen to a two-year deal worth $9MM. The deal also includes a $1MM roster bonus and up to $1MM in incentives.
- The Pirates found their new shortstop, as they officially signed Clint Barmes to a two-year deal on Monday. The contract is worth $10.5MM and with a $5MM salary in 2012, Barmes will be the Pirates' highest-paid player.
- The Marlins traded catcher John Baker to the Padres for left-hander Wade LeBlanc. Our projections have Baker earning $800K as a first time arbitration-eligible player in 2012.
- Gio Gonzalez has emerged as a possible trade target for the Marlins.
- After a season with the Blue Jays, Frank Francisco is now a free agent, and the Rangers have expressed interest in bringing him back. Francisco, 32, posted a 3.55 ERA, 9.4 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 1.2 HR/9, and 38.6% groundball rate in 50 2/3 innings this year.
- Nationals officials including GM Mike Rizzo visited free agent lefty Mark Buehrle and his agents at his home in St. Louis this week.
- The Phillies acquired utility man Ty Wigginton from the Rockies in exchange for a player to be named or cash. The teams will split Wigginton's $4MM 2012 salary and the Rox can recoup another player or $100K in cash if the Phils exercise Wigginton's $4MM 2013 option.
- The Phillies are among the clubs interested in 19-year-old Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler. In addition to the Phillies, the Yankees, Nationals, Cubs, Marlins and Rangers have also shown interest in Soler.
- The Yankees signed Jayson Nix to a minor league deal that includes an invitation to Major League Spring Training.
- The Dodgers, Giants, and Brewers all have interest in Jerry Hairston Jr. and Milwaukee has already offered him a one-year deal.
- The Angels reportedly have their eye on Ryan Hanigan of the Reds.
- Meanwhile, the Reds' top priority is finding a starting pitcher.
- The Indians traded Luis Valbuena to the Blue Jays in exchange for cash considerations. The infielder was designated for assignment on November 18th.
- The Orioles are close to a deal with Korean right-hander Chong Tae-Hyon.
- More than 10 teams have inquired on Jonathan Broxton and requested his medical records.
- The Rockies have expressed interest in free agent outfielder Jonny Gomes.
- The Yokohama Bay Stars have agreed to post right-handed reliever Hiroki Sanada this offseason.
- The Angels announced Matt Klentak was hired as an assistant GM. Klentak served as director of baseball operations for the Orioles since 2008. Klentak was named one of our top 20 GM candidates in August, and you can read Ben Nicholson-Smith's interview with him here.
- The Pirates announced six minor league free agent signings: Jake Fox, Brandon Boggs, Kyle Cofield, Jose Diaz, Shairon Martis, and Stefan Welch. Fox, Boggs, and Martis received non-roster invites to spring training.
- The Orioles signed Matt Antonelli to a Major League contract.
Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Cardinals Extend Matt Carpenter Diamondbacks Sign Oliver Perez Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL East Notes: Sizemore, Machado, Cervelli Braves Could Make Run At Ervin Santana Diamondbacks Outright Santos Rodriguez Offseason In Review: San Francisco Giants Minor Moves: Martinez, Erbe, Liz, Olmsted Offseason In Review: New York Yankees NL East Notes: Beachy, Santana, Braves, Mets Braves Acquire Zach Stewart Cardinals Sign Aledmys Diaz Out Of Options Players: AL East Morosi's Latest: Jays, Tigers, Rockies, Pineda, JDA Offseason In Review: Pittsburgh Pirates Twins Still Have Offer Out To Ervin Santana Quick Hits: Orioles, Nationals, Manaea, White Sox MLBTR Originals
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors