A pair of notable extensions were handed out in baseball's two Western divisions this week. Let's take a look back at those stories and all of the other news from the past week...
- Madison Bumgarner set the record for pitchers with one-plus years of service time when he agreed to a five-year extension with the Giants that will guarantee him $35MM. The deal contains two options -- a club/vesting option for 2018 and a club option for 2019.
- The Giants also checked in with the agents for Tim Lincecum and Buster Posey, but nothing is imminent on either front.
- Oddly enough, a second $35MM extension was issued this week, though Erick Aybar was the beneficiary of the second. The Angels locked up their shortstop for the next four years -- the same amount of time for which they'll control Howie Kendrick, the other half of their double play combination following his extension.
- Personal service deals and milestone bonuses will no longer be allowed in contracts, under the new collective bargaining agreement. The stipulation was added because Major League Baseball is trying to avoid situations where teams could use these clauses as loopholes to avoid paying the luxury tax.
- The Nationals are considering an extension for Jordan Zimmermann, who told reporters that he has mutual interest in the idea.
- With injuries to Jacoby Ellsbury and Carl Crawford hampering their outfield depth, the Red Sox acquired Marlon Byrd from the Cubs in exchange for Michael Bowden (whom they DFA'ed along with Luis Exposito earlier in the week) and a player to be named later. Chicago will pay roughly $6.1MM of the $6.5MM owed to Byrd in this, the final year of his contract.
- The Orioles would claim Exposito off waivers from the Red Sox later in the week, designating Josh Bell for assignment to create roster space. The Diamondbacks then acquired Bell from Baltimore in exchange for a player to be named later.
- Other notable waiver claims this week included the Rays claiming Brandon Allen off waivers from the Athletics. Oakland claimed Rich Thompson off waivers from the Angels this week as well.
- Giants closer Brian Wilson announced that he will undergo his second Tommy John surgery and miss the remainder of the 2012 season. Santiago Casilla, Sergio Romo, and Javier Lopez will combine to close in his stead.
- The Mariners signed Dominican prospect Hersin Martinez for a bonus of $1.1MM. The outfielder is praised for his "tremendous raw power."
- The Padres are prepared to release veteran Orlando Hudson, who hasn't been performing on the field and also reportedly hasn't wowed San Diego with his clubhouse presence.
- Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos told reporters that if he could improve his club in one area, he'd like to add one more impact bat to his lineup.
- Astros closer Brett Myers isn't currently being shopped, according to general manager Jeff Luhnow. That, of course, could change as the trade deadline approaches if Myers is pitching well.
- Lastly, MLBTR is seeking part-time writers. If you think you fit the bill, check the post for details and send in your application!
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley Ryan Zimmerman To Miss Four to Six Weeks Athletics Release Joe Blanton AL East Notes: Rays, Drew, Pineda, Lester 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings MLBTR Chat Transcript
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors