On this date in 1987, home plate umpire Tim Tschida threw out Twins pitcher Joe Niekro after discovering an emery board in his possession (here’s footage of the incident). The 42 year-old knuckleballer received an automatic ten-day suspension from the American League for defacing the ball. Here’s this week’s look around the baseball blogosphere..
- Sports Injury Alert looks at the injury side of the Yoenis Cespedes deal.
- Rays Colored Glasses defends the Price trade.
- Maniac Ball looks at the Angels and the 2015 luxury tax.
- Mariner Brainstorm is high on Austin Jackson.
- Camden Depot feels the O’s gave up too much for Andrew Miller.
- MLB Reports examines the A’s payroll.
- Wahoo’s On First wonders if defensive shifts have robbed Carlos Santana.
- It’s Pronounced Lajaway defends the Indians’ offense.
- The Baseball Stance likes what Brian Cashman did in July.
Please send submissions to Zach at ZachBBWI@gmail.com.