- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Reverse Standings
- Players Who Have Cleared Revocable Waivers
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2015 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- MLBTR iPad/iPhone App
- MLBTR Android App
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- NL East Notes: Phillies, Amaro, Hamels, Murphy, Medlen
- Padres Designate Troy Patton, Chris Nelson
- Angels Designate Michael Kohn, J.B. Shuck
- Pirates Designate Michael Martinez For Assignment
- Yankees Designate Zoilo Almonte, Release Matt Daley
- MLBTR Chat Transcript
- 2015 Free Agent Power Rankings
- Astros Designate Paul Clemens, David Martinez
- Brewers Designate Caleb Gindl, Release Hiram Burgos
- Blue Jays Designate Darin Mastroianni, Matt Hague; Neil Wagner Released
- Astros Notes: Porter, Luhnow, Managerial Search
- Poll: Most Impactful August Acquisition
- Top Prospect Promotions: Pompey, Franco, Norris
- Minor Moves: Hill, Gwynn, Berry, Rangers, Reds
- Blue Jays Designate Neil Wagner For Assignment
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Chris Gomez Rumors
A few players were released this evening…
- Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram says pitcher Casey Daigle was among the players released by the Rangers. Wilson says Daigle is currently on a reality show with wife Jennie Finch.
- Patrick Newman of NPB Tracker passes along a Kyodo News report that the Cubs released pitcher Ken Kadokura.
- Chad Jennings The Times Tribune says Reegie Corona has been placed on waivers by the Mariners, the first step toward returning the Rule 5 pick to the Yankees.
- The Orioles released shortstop Chris Gomez, who became unnecessary with the Robert Andino acquisition.
4:21pm: Mike Berardino of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel has Larry Beinfest's thoughts on the Marlins' acquisitions today. Berardino also says Dallas McPherson "might wind up with the Yankees."
11:54am: Interesting swap today: the Marlins acquired pitcher Hayden Penn from the Orioles for shortstop Robert Andino. Both players are out of options.
Penn, 24, wasn't able to crack the Orioles' weak rotation. Perhaps he can recover the promise he had back in '05 and '06 with a fresh start.
Andino, 25 later this month, hit .287/.356/.497 in his second attempt at Triple A. He was blocked by Hanley Ramirez in Florida, but he plays strong defense and may be able to chip away at Cesar Izturis' playing time in Baltimore. Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun says it looks like Chris Gomez will be released now. Schmuck also has Andy MacPhail's explanation of the deal.
Press release from the Orioles this afternoon: they've released catcher Guillermo Quiroz and pitcher Scott Chiasson. Combined with other moves they're down to 50 players in camp. Infielder Chris Gomez is also on the roster bubble, according to Jeff Zrebiec and Peter Schmuck of the Baltimore Sun.
According to Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, the Orioles signed infielder Chris Gomez to a minor league deal. Gomez signed with the Orioles as a free agent prior to the ’05 season and remained in the organization until the Indians took him off waivers in August of ’07.
10:46pm: Roch Kubatko says Zaun wants a two-year deal but the Orioles prefer one year. The O’s are also talking with Ivan Rodriguez. Kubatko adds that Kenshin Kawakami was seeking a three-year deal. In another post, Kubatko says the O’s have no interest in Shelley Duncan, but Richie Sexson and Ty Wigginton are possibilities for first base. Peter Schmuck adds Nick Swisher, Ryan Garko, Billy Butler, and Ryan Shealy as trade possibilities.
Dan Connolly says the Orioles offered Brian Roberts a multiyear extension at about $10MM per, but the two sides have not made progress and Roberts doesn’t want talks dragging into the season. Andy MacPhail said he hasn’t had trade talks for Roberts for at least a month. As for Nick Markakis, the sides were about $10MM apart on a possible six-year extension.
11:31am: Orioles notes…
- As you know, the Orioles reached an agreement with their first-ever Japanese player, Koji Uehara. It’s a two-year deal worth $10MM guaranteed, with another $6MM in incentives and bonuses. Patrick Newman offers commentary on the signing, which is not getting a ton of press in the Japanese media. Keith Law wonders if Baltimore was a wise choice for Uehara.
- Dan Connolly says the Orioles’ immediate priority is now to add a catcher, with Gregg Zaun and Ivan Rodriguez the candidates.
- Peter Schmuck says the O’s are looking for a reserve infielder as well. They’ve talked to Chris Gomez‘s agent and Willie Bloomquist "might be another possibility."
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Baltimore Orioles | Billy Butler | Brian Roberts | Chris Gomez | Cleveland Indians | Gregg Zaun | Ivan Rodriguez | Kansas City Royals | Kenshin Kawakami | Koji Uehara | New York Yankees | Nick Markakis | Nick Swisher | Richie Sexson | Ryan Shealy | Ty Wigginton | Willie Bloomquist
More random rumors to devour…
- The Braves are looking at adding Damian Miller as their backup catcher. The Nats are known to have interest and more playing time for Miller. The Padres are considering him as well; Miller will definitely play in ’08.
- Jake Peavy will get a three-year, $52MM extension with a $22MM option for 2013. Who knows how the Padres will feel about that option when they get there. Peavy will earn $15MM in 2010, $16MM in ’11, and $17MM in ’12. The ’13 option has a $4MM buyout attached.
- Jacoby Ellsbury signed on with the Scott Boras Corporation. I made an error earlier saying Jon Lester had as well.
- Pirates inked utility man Chris Gomez for a million bucks.
- The Nationals have their eye on Arizona’s Miguel Montero. They’re also one of the ten teams in on Kazuo Fukumori. Barry Svrluga tosses a new Japanese reliever into the mix: Katsuhiko Maekawa. Don’t know a thing about him yet.
- Larry LaRue tries to explain why the Mariners didn’t offer arbitration to Jose Guillen.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: Arizona Diamondbacks | Atlanta Braves | Boston Red Sox | Chris Gomez | Damian Miller | Jacoby Ellsbury | Jake Peavy | Jon Lester | Jose Guillen | Katsuhiko Maekawa | Kazuo Fukumori | Miguel Montero | Pittsburgh Pirates | San Diego Padres | Scott Boras | Seattle Mariners | Washington Nationals