Weekly email list
- Tim Lincecum Undergoes Season-Ending Hip Surgery
- Dodgers To Promote Corey Seager
- Cubs Designate Russell, Soriano; Select Contracts Of Cahill, Berry; Recall Baez
- Braves Promote Hector Olivera
- Royals Acquire Jonny Gomes
- Giants Acquire Alejandro De Aza
- Dodgers To Acquire Justin Ruggiano
- Cubs Acquire Austin Jackson
- Giants Still Discussing De Aza, Looking At Infielders
- Blue Jays To Name Mark Shapiro As Team President
Trade Rumors Apps
- Front Office Notes: Angels, Eppler, Marlins, Jennings
- Minor MLB Transactions: 9/4/15
- Latest On Matt Harvey And Mets
- Three Needs: Arizona Diamondbacks
- Heyman’s Latest: Williams, Collins, ChiSox, Keuchel, Halos, Dietrich
- Rockies Activate Justin Morneau, Designate Matt McBride
- MLBTR Podcast Featuring Rockies GM Jeff Bridich
- Indians Designate Carlos Moncrief
- AL Central Notes: Ausmus, Tigers, Kluber
- New York Notes: Teixeira, Harvey, Bullpens
- NL West Notes: Lincecum, Myers, Castillo, D-Backs
- Quick Hits: Hart, Phillies, Davis
- Front Office Notes: Dipoto, Hazen, Cherington, Angels
- Minor MLB Transactions: 9/3/15
- East Notes: Bradley, Bour, Sabathia
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Freddy Guzman Rumors
Here are today's minor transactions, with the most recent moves at the top of the page…
- Right-hander Peter Moylan has elected to become a free agent, according to the MLB.com transactions page. The Dodgers designated Moylan for assignment last week to create 40-man roster space for the newly-signed Alexander Guerrero. Moylan posted a 6.46 ERA in 15 1/3 relief innings for Los Angeles last season and was plagued by injuries in 2011-12, but the Aussie righty posted a 2.59 ERA in 260 2/3 IP out of the Braves bullpen from 2006-12.
- The Rays outrighted Freddy Guzman to Triple-A Durham and off the Major League 40-man roster, Roger Mooney of the Tampa Bay Tribune reports (Twitter link). Guzman will become a minor league free agent five days after the end of the World Series. Guzman appeared in one Major League game (his first since 2009) last season, stealing a base and scoring as a pinch-runner. Guzman has spent most of the last three seasons in the Mexican League and he posted a .855 OPS in 450 PA with Ciudad del Carmen in 2013.
- Now that Moylan is a free agent, the Red Sox Pedro Beato and the Padres' Colt Hynes and Tommy Layne are the only players remaining in DFA limbo, according to MLBTR's DFA Tracker.
A 25 homer hitter, a former first rounder and a 14-year veteran signed this week. Baseball America's Matt Eddy has the details on those transactions and more. Here are some highlights from January 25th-31st:
- The Nationals signed Kevin Mench. The 32-year-old didn't play in the majors last year, but he hit 25 homers as recently as 2005. He has a career .900 OPS against lefties.
- The Blue Jays signed Wade Townsend. The Rays released the 2005 first rounder last summer, but the Jays are giving him a chance.
- The Reds signed Miguel Cairo. The 14-year-veteran posted a .705 OPS for the Phillies last year in 47 plate appearances.
- The White Sox signed Daniel Cabrera. The 6'7'' right-hander led the American League in walks and earned runs allowed when he logged over 200 innings for the Orioles in 2007. He split time with the D'Backs and Nationals last year, struggling with both clubs.
- The Dodgers signed Timo Perez out of the Can-Am League. The 34-year-old surfaced as a rookie for the Mets in the 2000 Subway Series.
- The Phillies signed Freddy Guzman.
- The Mets signed Val Pascucci, who has 193 minor league homers to his name.
Freddy Guzman and Josh Towers were outrighted by the Yankees and elected free agency, according to Chad Jennings of The Journal News. Towers would've been arbitration-eligible.
Guzman, 29 in January, hit .223/.272/.294 in 381 plate appearances for four Triple A teams this year. Towers, 33 in February, posted a 3.05 ERA in 103.3 Triple A innings for two clubs.
A few links to start the evening off…
- When asked if the Pirates might pursue a free agent this winter to address their lack of power, Dejan Kovacevic of The Pittsburgh Post Gazette said the team has indicated "that they will wait until they see which of the current players might take a step forward, then identifying needs." That sounds like a "no," or at least a "probably not."
- MLB.com's Bill Ladson said he would not be surprised if Brian Schneider returned to the Nationals as a backup catcher next year, but he would have to take a big paycut. Schneider has already said he doesn't expect to return to the Mets next year, and after making $4.9MM this year, he should be prepared to take a big paycut wherever he goes.
- The Yankees designated reliever Anthony Claggett for assignment to clear room on the 40-man roster for Freddy Guzman, reports Peter Abraham of The Journal News. Claggett was originally acquired in the deal that sent Gary Sheffield to Detroit, and got annihilated in his brief callup (33.75 ERA & 5.62 WHIP in 2.2 IP) this year.
The Yankees have acquired speedy outfielder Freddy Guzman from the Orioles, according to The Star Ledger's Marc Carig. Baltimore gets a player to be named later in the deal
Guzman will head to Triple-A Scranton initially, and was hitting .219-.261-.289 in stops with the top minor league affiliate of three different organizations this year. The Orioles signed him to a minor league deal earlier this month.
Updates on the latest Met to go down and more…
- You thought it couldn't get worse for the Mets? Johan Santana will miss his next start with elbow trouble, according to ESPN.com. As one Mets person said to Jon Heyman of SI.com, it's "not a good day" for the club.
- Manager Ozzie Guillen believes his White Sox are "good enough to win the World Series," according to Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times.
- The Orioles signed Freddy Guzman to a minor league deal, according to this Roch Kubatko Baseball America article. Guzman played 20 games with the Padres five years ago and last appeared in the majors in 2007 with Texas.
According to the Minor League Baseball transactions feed, the Orioles signed free agent OF Freddy Guzman and assigned him to AAA Norfolk. The 28-year-old Guzman last appeared in the majors in '07 for the Rangers. He'll provide some minor-league depth.
1:53pm: No one claimed Guzman; he’ll head to Double A for the Tigers.
10:03am: According to Jon Paul Morosi, the Tigers have placed 27 year-old center fielder Freddy Guzman on outright waivers. Coming up with the Padres, Guzman was highly regarded by Baseball America for his "game-changing speed."
Guzman doesn’t have much of an arm but he certainly covers a lot of ground in center. He walks a decent amount for a guy with no power. He could be claimed by a club feeling the need for speed in its fourth or fifth outfield spot.
Rounding up some smaller rumors…
- The Phillies talked to the Pirates today about Nate McLouth, Damaso Marte, and John Grabow. Grabow remains a possibility.
- There’s some ill will between the Marlins and Angels.
- Aaron Rowand, Andruw Jones, and Hiroki Kuroda are all asking for more years than GMs are willing to give.
- The Tigers picked up Freddy Guzman from the Rangers for first baseman Chris Shelton. Maybe Shelton can work his way into the team’s first base mix.
- Interesting note from MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan – the Rangers considered trying to acquire Adam Jones, but Bill Bavasi said, "You don’t want to see Jones kicking your tail for the next 10 years."
- The Mets and roughly five other teams looked at Freddy Garcia’s medical records, according to Joel Sherman. The Rangers are one other interested party.
Full Story | 0 Comments | Categories: Aaron Rowand | Adam Jones | Andruw Jones | Chris Shelton | Damaso Marte | Detroit Tigers | Freddy Garcia | Freddy Guzman | Hiroki Kuroda | John Grabow | Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim | Miami Marlins | Nate McLouth | New York Mets | Philadelphia Phillies | Pittsburgh Pirates | Seattle Mariners | Texas Rangers