Trade Rumors Apps
- Athletics Sign Billy Butler
- White Sox Sign Zach Duke
- Marlins Sign Giancarlo Stanton To 13-Year, $325MM Extension
- Blue Jays Sign Russell Martin
- Braves, Cardinals Trade Jason Heyward For Shelby Miller
- Tigers Exercise Alex Avila's Option
- Diamondbacks Acquire Jeremy Hellickson
- Pirates Sign A.J. Burnett
- Rangers Extend Jon Daniels, Thad Levine
- Jays, Tigers Swap Gose For Travis
- Pirates Acquire Francisco Cervelli For Justin Wilson
- Tigers Re-Sign Victor Martinez
- 2014-15 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions
- Non-Tender Candidates
- Trade Rumors iOS App
- Trade Rumors Android App
- MLBTR Podcast
- 2014-15 MLB Free Agent Tracker
- 2015 MLB Free Agent List
- 2014-15 Offseason Outlooks
- 2014-15 Free Agent Profiles
- Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2015
- Free Agent Contest Leaderboard
- Reverse Standings
- 2016 MLB Free Agent List
- Transaction Tracker
- DFA Tracker
- Agency Database
- Hot Stove Glossary
- MLBTR On Facebook
- MLBTR On Twitter
- MLBTR Mobile
- MLBTR On Kindle
- Team Twitter/RSS Feeds
- Team Facebook Pages
- Hoops Rumors
- Pro Football Rumors
- Players Added To The 40-Man Roster
- Dioner Navarro Seeks Trade; Three Teams Interested
- Yasmany Tomas Rumors: Braves In, Phillies Wary Of Overpay
- Astros, Tigers Trade Talks On Catcher Did Not Progress
- MLB Trade Rumors Podcast: Episode 7
- Orioles Claim Alex Hassan
- Kubatko On Orioles: Delmon, Ubaldo, De Aza
- Blue Jays Pursuing Torii Hunter
- Marlins, Giancarlo Stanton Agree To 13-Year, $325MM Contract
- White Sox Weighing Pursuit Of Melky Cabrera
- Free Agent Profile: Max Scherzer
- NL Notes: Liriano, Cards, D’backs, Padres, Hanley
- Marlins Notes: LaRoche, Pitching, Payroll, Stanton
- Minor Moves: Brignac, Bernier, Venditte, Almanzar
- Free Agent Profile: Jon Lester
MLBTR Mailing List
Rumors by team
- Angels Rumors
- Astros Rumors
- Athletics Rumors
- Blue Jays Rumors
- Braves Rumors
- Brewers Rumors
- Cardinals Rumors
- Cubs Rumors
- Diamondbacks Rumors
- Dodgers Rumors
- Giants Rumors
- Indians Rumors
- Mariners Rumors
- Marlins Rumors
- Mets Rumors
- Nationals Rumors
- Orioles Rumors
- Padres Rumors
- Phillies Rumors
- Pirates Rumors
- Rangers Rumors
- Rays Rumors
- Red Sox Rumors
- Reds Rumors
- Rockies Rumors
- Royals Rumors
- Tigers Rumors
- Twins Rumors
- White Sox Rumors
- Yankees Rumors
Tyler Lumsden Rumors
The latest minor league transactions from Baseball America's Matt Eddy…
- The Padres acquired lefty Tyler Lumsden from the Astros for future considerations. The former first-round pick has already tossed over ten innings for the Double A San Antonio Missions. Lumsden was well-regarded a few years ago, ranking fifth among Royals' prospects in BA's '07 Handbook.
- The Red Sox released pitchers Randor Bierd and Kason Gabbard. Bierd came to the Sox in the January '09 David Pauley trade, while Gabbard was sent to Texas in July of '07 in the Eric Gagne deal and later reacquired.
- The Diamondbacks released reliever Saul Rivera. He'd been designated for assignment on June 8th.
Let’s take a look at what is being written around the Blogosphere…
- River Ave. Blues debates Ben Sheets versus A.J. Burnett and wonders if Sheets will be the better bargain in the end.
- Detroit Tiger Thoughts shows that Jason Varitek is not a good fit with the Tigers, even in a platoon situation.
- Fire Brand of the American League lays down several reasons why the Red Sox should avoid signing Teixeira.
- Where have you gone, Andy Van Slyke? sees no downside to the Pirates’ signing of Indian imports Dinesh Patel and Rinku Singh.
- The ‘Burgh Blues feels Eric Hinske is an economical fit for the Bucs.
- Amazin’ Avenue does not see Raul Ibanez as an upgrade for the Mets, suggesting he may not be any better than Fernando Tatis.
- The Baseball Opinion breaks down what the acquisition of Tyler Lumsden means for the Royals and Astros.
- Batter’s Box takes a look a recent J.P. Ricciardi quote and the current state of the economy and wonders if the Jays are going to reduce their payroll.
- Royals Review lists the ten best free agent signings in Royals history, topped by David Cone. Amazingly, four of the signings occurred in the last five seasons.
Full Story | Comments | Categories: A.J. Burnett | Baseball Blogs Weigh In | Ben Sheets | Boston Red Sox | Detroit Tigers | Eric Hinske | Fernando Tatis | Houston Astros | Jason Varitek | Kansas City Royals | Mark Teixeira | New York Mets | Pittsburgh Pirates | Raul Ibanez | Toronto Blue Jays | Tyler Lumsden
According to MLB.com’s Jim Molony, the Astros acquired lefty pitching prospect Tyler Lumsden from the Royals for a player to be named later or cash considerations. The Royals had designated him for assignment a few days ago; he was knocked around at Triple A this year. Baseball America liked his stuff coming into the season, but noted his poor command.
Breaking news from ESPN is that the White Sox are "extremely close" to acquiring Alfonso Soriano. It seems that Brandon McCarthy is the main piece of the deal.
The result would be a Murderer’s Row with five players currently slugging .539 or better: Thome (.632), Dye (.620), Soriano (.594), Konerko (.555), and Crede (.539). The Sox already lead baseball in home runs with 146.
What’s more, ESPN also reports that Kenny Williams is looking to strengthen his bullpen by sending 23 year-old southpaw Double A starter Tyler Lumsden to the Royals for Mike MacDougal. Lumsden isn’t striking anyone out, but still has a 2.69 ERA for Birmingham. He had elbow surgery in January of last year.
MacDougal has thrown four scoreless innings for the Royals since returning from a shoulder strain. He was able to cut his walks to a reasonable level last year and had his best season.
UPDATE: MacDougal is a done deal. Another pitcher was added to complete the trade.