The Red Sox have now captured consecutive AL East titles with identical 93-69 records. Boston’s success continues to be spurred by the homegrown core of position-player talent compiled by prior front office administrations. But that’s not to say that president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski hasn’t had an impact. In particular, many key members of the pitching staff have come from outside the organization, quite a few via recent trades.
Here’s how every member of the Red Sox’ 2017 ALDS roster was originally acquired:
- HOMEGROWN (9)
- Dustin Pedroia, 2B: Drafted 2nd Rd ’04
- Christian Vazquez, C: Drafted 9th Rd ’08
- Xander Bogaerts, SS: International Free Agent (Aruba) August ’09
- Jackie Bradley Jr., CF: Drafted 1st Rd (40) ’11
- Mookie Betts, RF: Drafted 5th Rd ’11
- Deven Marrero, INF: Drafted 1st Rd (24) ’12
- Austin Maddox, RP: Drafted 3rd Rd ’12
- Rafael Devers, 3B: International Free Agent (D.R.) August ’13
- Andrew Benintendi, OF: Drafted 1st Rd (7) ’15
- ACQUIRED VIA FREE AGENCY (3)
- ACQUIRED VIA TRADE (12)
- Brock Holt, INF/OF: December ’12 (PIT) — Acquired in the trade that sent Mark Melancon, Jerry Sands, Ivan De Jesus Jr. and Stolmy Pimentel to the Pirates.
- Eduardo Rodriguez, SP: July ’14 (BAL) — Acquired in the trade that sent Andrew Miller to the Orioles.
- Joe Kelly, RP: July ’14 (STL) — Acquired in the trade that sent John Lackey and Corey Littrell to the Cardinals.
- Rick Porcello, SP: December ’14 (DET) — Acquired in the trade that sent Yoenis Cespedes, Alex Wilson and Gabe Speier to the Tigers.
- Sandy Leon, C: March ’15 (WSH) — Acquired in the trade that sent cash considerations to the Nationals.
- Craig Kimbrel, RP: November ’15 (SD) — Acquired in the trade that sent Manuel Margot, Carlos Asuaje, Javier Guerra and Logan Allen to the Padres.
- Carson Smith, RP: December ’15 (SEA) — Acquired in the trade that sent Wade Miley and Jonathan Aro to the Mariners.
- Drew Pomeranz, SP: July ’16 (SD) — Acquired in the trade that sent Anderson Espinoza to the Padres.
- Chris Sale, SP: December ’16 (CWS) — Acquired in the trade that sentYoan Moncada, Michael Kopech, Luis Alexander Basabe and Victor Diaz to the White Sox.
- Eduardo Nuñez, INF: July ’17 (SF) — Acquired in the trade that sent Shaun Anderson and Gregory Santos to the Giants.
- Addison Reed, RP: July ’17 (NYM) — Acquired in the trade that sent Gerson Bautista, Jamie Callahan, and Stephen Nogosek to the Mets.
- Rajai Davis, OF: August ’17 (OAK) — Acquired in the trade that sent Rafael Rincones to the Athletics.
The bulk of Boston’s roster remains under control beyond the present season. Most of the team’s players that will head to the open market — Reed, Fister, Nunez, and Davis — were picked up during the current season. Moreland is the only other player to make this roster who’ll depart via free agency. He’ll be joined by outfielder Chris Young, who was perhaps the most notable omission from the postseason unit.