Here's a look at the latest column from SI.com's Jon Heyman.
- Heyman is hearing "scuttlebutt" that GM Pat Gillick may not leave the Phillies after all.
- Theo Epstein's new deal is worth about $7MM over three years, which might be highest among GMs.
- Pedro Martinez's agent insists Pedro will pitch next year. In May, Martinez said he wanted to pitch two or three more years a couple days after suggesting retirement was an option.
- Moises Alou is undecided on 2009.
- Cubs GM Jim Hendry expects to re-sign Ryan Dempster after the season.
- Heyman says the Yankees "will likely make a big play" for Nate McLouth. The Pirates center fielder is arbitration-eligible for the first time this winter, meaning he's under team control for three more seasons. McLouth's defense does not rate well (-21) under the previously discussed plus/minus system. Carlos Gomez is tops among CFs at +16. Rumored Yankees target Matt Kemp is a +1.
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Heyman's Latest: Gillick, Pedro, Dempster, McLouth: