On a slow news day, I thought it might be interesting to look through the MLBTR archives to see what was cooking on the hot stove a year ago.
- A.J. Burnett's agent Darek Braunecker said there would be no contract discussions with the Blue Jays until his client decided whether to opt out. The Jays were said to be preparing a four-year, $54MM offer. Even then it was obvious Burnett would opt out and get significantly more money. He signed in December with the Yankees for five years and $82.5MM.
- The Giants cut ties with Tyler Walker, Brad Hennessey, and Kevin Correia. Several commenters believed they should've retained Correia, who went on to post a 3.91 ERA in 198 innings for the Padres for a mere $1.1MM.
- Jerry DiPoto was said to be among the front-runners for the Mariners GM job. Instead, the Ms chose Jack Zduriencik a few weeks later. Zduriencik acquired Franklin Gutierrez, Russell Branyan, and David Aardsma, among others. DiPoto still works for the Diamondbacks, but Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports says not to rule him out for the open Padres GM job.
- Asked about signing with the Mets, free agent Manny Ramirez talked repeatedly about how the ball doesn't carry well at Shea, despite being reminded the Mets were moving into a new stadium in 2009. At that point we were still talking about a four or five-year deal for Manny worth $17-25MM per season. Manny ultimately re-signed with the Dodgers in March for two years and $45MM. His fine season was interrupted by a 50-game PED suspension. Manny must decide next month on his $20MM player option for 2010.
- The Padres still had Kevin Towers and Jake Peavy a year ago. At that time we were trying to decipher which teams Peavy was reportedly willing to play for. After a winter of endless Cubs rumors, Towers struck a deal with the White Sox in May. Peavy vetoed the trade, tore a tendon in his ankle, and later accepted another trade to the Sox at the July trade deadline.
Astros To Promote George Springer Padres Extend Jedd Gyorko Athletics Designate Sam Fuld For Assignment Rangers Acquire Hector Noesi Cardinals Extend John Mozeliak Red Sox Sign Ryan Roberts Astros Outright Chia-Jen Lo Rays Extend Yunel Escobar Pirates Extend Neal Huntington, Clint Hurdle Mariners Designate Hector Noesi For Assignment Diamondbacks Claim Roger Kieschnick Indians Extend Jason Kipnis Rays Extend Chris Archer Blue Jays Sign Juan Francisco Indians Extend Yan Gomes Rangers Designate Adam Rosales For Assignment Athletics Designate Michael Taylor For Assignment Red Sox Release Francisco Cordero Royals Release Ramon Hernandez Scott Diamond Accepts Outright Assignment Angels Extend Mike Trout Phillies Acquire Jayson Nix From Rays Yankees Sign Alfredo Aceves
Out Of Options 2014 2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
AL Notes: Nunez, Vizquel, Cousins, A's AL Notes: Defensive Value, White Sox, Astros, Fuld NL Notes: Hamels, Morse, Diamondbacks, Walker Kole Calhoun To Miss Four To Six Weeks Minor Moves: Giants Release Dontrelle Willis Padres Notes: Gyorko, Headley, Cashner Rangers Outright Daniel McCutchen Athletics Claim Marcus Walden Off Waivers From Blue Jays Mets Outright Lannan, Promote Matsuzaka AL West Notes: Astros, Franklin, Walker, Reddick Morales Rejected $30MM Extension Last Summer Astros To Promote George Springer Astros To Designate Lucas Harrell For Assignment Minor Moves: Scott Cousins NL Notes: Johnson, Cubs, Bradley
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors