Busy day here at MLBTR with all of the buzz around Aroldis Chapman's agreement with the Reds. Let's take a look back at the week leading up to it:
- The biggest name on the free agent market wound up staying put, as Matt Holliday signed a seven-year, $120MM deal with the Cardinals. Interestingly, the contract pays him through the year 2029. The annual salary is fine for now, but you've got to wonder if Holliday will be worth that much in his mid-30s. Still, the Cards are looking good for the foreseeable future, though they're only left with about $6MM-$7MM to spend this season. Here's some other reactions to the deal.
- One of the greatest pitchers any of us will ever see announced his retirement this week, as Randy Johnson officially hung it up. Congratulations to the Big Unit on a phenomenal career.
- The Red Sox signed Adrian Beltre to a one-year, $7MM deal (plus a $2MM signing bonus) with a $5MM player option for 2010 that could hit $10MM with 640 plate appearances. Surprisingly, Beltre turned down three-year, $24MM deals from both Oakland and Philadelphia to play in Boston. If he has a big season, however, he should be able to hit free agency and earn far more than $24MM total over the course of 2010-2012.
- The Giants are looking to add a left-handed bat to their lineup, but they're apparently not trying hard enough if you ask Adam LaRoche. He turned down a two-year, $17MM deal from the Giants this week. This decision surprised me, as I can't see LaRoche getting more than that anywhere else, especially not with the Mariners acquiring Casey Kotchman this week. Kotchman fits Jack Z's defense-first mold, but I'd have thought the M's would seek someone like LaRoche to add some power to that lineup.
- Speaking of Seattle, they announced a four-year, $20.5MM extension for Franklin Gutierrez this week. Gutierrez was one of baseball's most underrated players last season, and this deal should prove to be a great value for Seattle. His defense alone is worth that much.
- Staying in the AL West, the Rangers inked Vladimir Guerrero to a one-year, $5MM deal with incentives. Vlad will serve as the primary DH in Texas. He'll be joined by fellow newcomer Khalil Greene, who was also signed by the Rangers this week.
- The Astros agreed to terms with Brett Myers on a one-year, $5MM deal. I'm surprised to see him get $5MM after allowing 18 home runs through just 70.2 innings last season. Myers has regressed steadily over the past few seasons, but he's been effective in the past.
- A couple of catchers in the news this week, as Kelly Shoppach agreed to a two-year extension with the Rays worth $5.55MM, and Miguel Olivo signed a one-year deal with the Rockies. We heard some more details about Olivo's contract earlier today.
- Big thanks to Brendan Bianowicz for all of the work he's done compiling the GM Trade History Series. Brendan's excellent work thus far has been broken down by division: NL West, NL Central, NL East, AL Central, AL East.
Nationals Sign Mike Gonzalez Rick Ankiel To Retire Rangers Sign Joe Saunders Indians Acquire Justin Sellers, Designate David Cooper Guillermo Mota Retires Braves To Sign Yenier Bello Athletics Acquire Jake Elmore Carl Pavano Retires Yankees Extend Brett Gardner Yankees Agree To Terms With Andrew Bailey Giants Sign Tyler Colvin Orioles Sign Nelson Cruz Red Sox Sign Chris Capuano Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons Reds Extend Homer Bailey Braves Extend Frank Wren, Fredi Gonzalez Orioles Sign Ubaldo Jimenez Dempster Won't Pitch In 2014 Braves Extend Craig Kimbrel
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
NL West Notes: Jobe, Maybin, Headley, Betancourt 2013-14 Article XX(B) Free Agents Out Of Options Players: NL West Yasiel Puig Switches Representation Ervin Santana Rumors: Thursday Offseason In Review: Miami Marlins Twins Notes: Mauer, Dozier, Parmelee, Pierzynski Out Of Options Players: AL Central Cardinals Nearing Extension With Matt Carpenter Phillies Notes: Hamels, Defensive Shifts Rosenthal's Latest: Masterson, Burns, Olt, Francisco White Sox Getting Calls On De Aza, Viciedo Quick Hits: Samardzija, Santana, Lester, Dodgers Teams Scouting David Phelps, Yankee Catchers Mets Notes: Murphy, Wright, Trades, Seratelli
How Clubs Determine Pre-Arbitration Salaries Another Bite At The Apple: Opt-Out Clauses In MLB Scouting Masahiro Tanaka Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present Minor League Free Agents Finding Major League Deals Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors