Busy day here at MLBTR with all of the buzz around Aroldis Chapman's agreement with the Reds. Let's take a look back at the week leading up to it:
- The biggest name on the free agent market wound up staying put, as Matt Holliday signed a seven-year, $120MM deal with the Cardinals. Interestingly, the contract pays him through the year 2029. The annual salary is fine for now, but you've got to wonder if Holliday will be worth that much in his mid-30s. Still, the Cards are looking good for the foreseeable future, though they're only left with about $6MM-$7MM to spend this season. Here's some other reactions to the deal.
- One of the greatest pitchers any of us will ever see announced his retirement this week, as Randy Johnson officially hung it up. Congratulations to the Big Unit on a phenomenal career.
- The Red Sox signed Adrian Beltre to a one-year, $7MM deal (plus a $2MM signing bonus) with a $5MM player option for 2010 that could hit $10MM with 640 plate appearances. Surprisingly, Beltre turned down three-year, $24MM deals from both Oakland and Philadelphia to play in Boston. If he has a big season, however, he should be able to hit free agency and earn far more than $24MM total over the course of 2010-2012.
- The Giants are looking to add a left-handed bat to their lineup, but they're apparently not trying hard enough if you ask Adam LaRoche. He turned down a two-year, $17MM deal from the Giants this week. This decision surprised me, as I can't see LaRoche getting more than that anywhere else, especially not with the Mariners acquiring Casey Kotchman this week. Kotchman fits Jack Z's defense-first mold, but I'd have thought the M's would seek someone like LaRoche to add some power to that lineup.
- Speaking of Seattle, they announced a four-year, $20.5MM extension for Franklin Gutierrez this week. Gutierrez was one of baseball's most underrated players last season, and this deal should prove to be a great value for Seattle. His defense alone is worth that much.
- Staying in the AL West, the Rangers inked Vladimir Guerrero to a one-year, $5MM deal with incentives. Vlad will serve as the primary DH in Texas. He'll be joined by fellow newcomer Khalil Greene, who was also signed by the Rangers this week.
- The Astros agreed to terms with Brett Myers on a one-year, $5MM deal. I'm surprised to see him get $5MM after allowing 18 home runs through just 70.2 innings last season. Myers has regressed steadily over the past few seasons, but he's been effective in the past.
- A couple of catchers in the news this week, as Kelly Shoppach agreed to a two-year extension with the Rays worth $5.55MM, and Miguel Olivo signed a one-year deal with the Rockies. We heard some more details about Olivo's contract earlier today.
- Big thanks to Brendan Bianowicz for all of the work he's done compiling the GM Trade History Series. Brendan's excellent work thus far has been broken down by division: NL West, NL Central, NL East, AL Central, AL East.
Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres To Release James Darnell Mets Acquire Eric Young For McHugh; Designate Cowgill Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez Yankees Designate Chris Bootcheck Diamondbacks Sign Braden Shipley Phillies Sign J.P. Crawford Orioles Designate Yamaico Navarro Mets Agree To Sign Dominic Smith Giants To Sign Christian Arroyo Pirates To Sign Reese McGuire Mets To Promote Zack Wheeler Yankees To Sign Ian Clarkin Rays Promote Wil Myers Dodgers Claim John Baker Mariners Sign Henry Blanco; Designate Kelly Shoppach For Assignment Dodgers Designate Ramon Hernandez For Assignment
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Trade Deadline Notes: Closers, Phillies, Buyers Draft Signings: Gonsalves, Williams, Mondab, Hannemann Astros Notes: Appel, Free Agency Rockies To Remove Francis From Roster, Add Oswalt Braves Sign First-Rounder Jason Hursh Red Sox Sign Trey Ball Twins Sign Kohl Stewart Mike Zagurski Elects Free Agency Padres Request Release Waivers On James Darnell Astros To Sign Mark Appel Suspensions Likely In Biogenesis Case Quick Hits: Norris, Ethier, Blue Jays, Phillies Mets Acquire Eric Young Jr., Designate Collin Cowgill Draft Signings: Bohn, Salazar, Verbistky, Healy, Moll Yankees Acquire Fernando Martinez
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors