Time to get excited for Spring Training! For the time being though, let's take a look back at the past week here on MLBTR:
- The Johnny Damon saga has come to an end at last. The 36-year-old reached an agreement with the Tigers on a one-year deal worth $8MM. It's a surprise to me to see the Tigers give $8MM to Damon when they were supposedly strapped for cash and had already signed Jose Valverde, but one year of Damon at $8MM is more than reasonable.
- After months of searching Russell Branyan's finally found himself a team as well. The slugger signed with the Indians at one year and $2MM, with another $1MM in incentives. Branyan's deal has a mutual $5MM option for 2011. Branyan had turned down an offer to return to Seattle earlier this offseason that was also one year with an option. He'll end up making about 10% of what he was reportedly seeking.
- The Mets signed Rod Barajas to a one-year deal worth $1MM with another $1MM in incentives. That it's a major league deal is a relief to the Blue Jays, who land a supplemental draft pick this year as a result of Barajas' Type B status.
- The Nationals had a busy week, highlighted by the signing of Chien-Ming Wang at one year and $2MM. Wang can earn an additional $3MM through incentives. If he's healthy and returns to form, the Nats have a steal on their hands.
- Washington also won two arbitration hearings this week, the first being against Brian Bruney and the second coming against Sean Burnett. Washington saved $500K in total between the two cases. The Nats added Willy Taveras on a minor league deal as well.
- Sticking with the arbitration hearing theme, Cody Ross won his case against the Marlins; he'll earn $4.45MM this year instead of the $4.2MM Florida offered.
- Jeff Mathis also won his case against the Angels, netting himself a salary of $1.3MM as opposed to the $700K the Angels had offered. The Halos avoided arbitration with Erick Aybar, signing him to a one-year deal worth $2.05MM.
- Ryan Theriot can't add himself to the list of this week's victors in arbitration cases; the Cubs won their hearing, saving them $800K. Theriot will earn $2.6MM instead of the $3.4MM he was seeking.
- Edwin Jackson avoided arbitration with his new club altogether, signing a two-year, $13.35MM contract with Arizona. Barring an injury or catastrophic collapse from Jackson, the D'Backs likely saved a little money on this one. Even with a rough second half in 2009, Jackson demonstrated that he's worth the money.
- A couple of front office notes this week: The Astros extended GM Ed Wade through the 2012 season, and Indians GM Mark Shaprio will serve as team president following the 2010 season, with assistant GM Chris Antonetti taking over the GM duties.
- Notable minor league signings this week include Eric Gagne attempting a comeback with the Dodgers, Endy Chavez signing in Texas, and Mike MacDougal signing in Florida. For more minor league signings, check out the Transactions section.
- Tim started up his newest series, giving a look at the Offseason In Review for each club. This week's installments include the Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox, and Rays.
Dodgers To Re-Sign Brian Wilson Red Sox To Sign Edward Mujica Royals Acquire Norichika Aoki Yankees To Sign Kelly Johnson Cubs Sign Wesley Wright White Sox Re-Sign Paul Konerko Rockies To Sign Justin Morneau Yankees Agree To Sign Jacoby Ellsbury Marlins To Sign Jarrod Saltalamacchia Astros Acquire Dexter Fowler Padres, A's Swap Seth Smith For Luke Gregerson A's Acquire Craig Gentry, Josh Lindblom Rays Extend Ryan Hanigan Rays Acquire Ryan Hanigan Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Red Sox Sign A.J. Pierzynski Athletics Acquire Jim Johnson For Jemile Weeks Nationals Acquire Doug Fister From Tigers Athletics Sign Scott Kazmir Mariners Sign Willie Bloomquist Blue Jays To Sign Dioner Navarro Twins Sign Phil Hughes Rays To Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo Giants Re-Sign Ryan Vogelsong Twins Sign Ricky Nolasco
2014 Top 50 Free Agents With Predictions 2014 MLB Free Agent Tracker 2014 MLB Free Agent List 2015 MLB Free Agent List Non-Tender Candidates Projected Arbitration Salaries For 2014 Free Agent Prediction Contest Leaderboard Transaction Tracker DFA Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Mariners Willing To Pay Cano $230-240MM Twins Sign Phil Hughes Rangers Sign Jose Contreras Rays Re-Sign Juan Carlos Oviedo Twins Designate Liam Hendriks For Assignment Granderson Seeking Four Years, $64MM Relief Notes: Axford, Downs, O'Flaherty Breaking Down The Tigers' Bullpen Situation Phillies Sign Wil Nieves Dodgers To Re-Sign Brian Wilson Phillies Sign Jeff Manship Commenting Policy Tigers Sign Joe Nathan Mariners Sign Willie Bloomquist Rakuten Golden Eagles May Not Post Masahiro Tanaka
Peralta, PED Incentives, And The Next JDA Future Salary Obligations In Context Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors