Time to get excited for Spring Training! For the time being though, let's take a look back at the past week here on MLBTR:
- The Johnny Damon saga has come to an end at last. The 36-year-old reached an agreement with the Tigers on a one-year deal worth $8MM. It's a surprise to me to see the Tigers give $8MM to Damon when they were supposedly strapped for cash and had already signed Jose Valverde, but one year of Damon at $8MM is more than reasonable.
- After months of searching Russell Branyan's finally found himself a team as well. The slugger signed with the Indians at one year and $2MM, with another $1MM in incentives. Branyan's deal has a mutual $5MM option for 2011. Branyan had turned down an offer to return to Seattle earlier this offseason that was also one year with an option. He'll end up making about 10% of what he was reportedly seeking.
- The Mets signed Rod Barajas to a one-year deal worth $1MM with another $1MM in incentives. That it's a major league deal is a relief to the Blue Jays, who land a supplemental draft pick this year as a result of Barajas' Type B status.
- The Nationals had a busy week, highlighted by the signing of Chien-Ming Wang at one year and $2MM. Wang can earn an additional $3MM through incentives. If he's healthy and returns to form, the Nats have a steal on their hands.
- Washington also won two arbitration hearings this week, the first being against Brian Bruney and the second coming against Sean Burnett. Washington saved $500K in total between the two cases. The Nats added Willy Taveras on a minor league deal as well.
- Sticking with the arbitration hearing theme, Cody Ross won his case against the Marlins; he'll earn $4.45MM this year instead of the $4.2MM Florida offered.
- Jeff Mathis also won his case against the Angels, netting himself a salary of $1.3MM as opposed to the $700K the Angels had offered. The Halos avoided arbitration with Erick Aybar, signing him to a one-year deal worth $2.05MM.
- Ryan Theriot can't add himself to the list of this week's victors in arbitration cases; the Cubs won their hearing, saving them $800K. Theriot will earn $2.6MM instead of the $3.4MM he was seeking.
- Edwin Jackson avoided arbitration with his new club altogether, signing a two-year, $13.35MM contract with Arizona. Barring an injury or catastrophic collapse from Jackson, the D'Backs likely saved a little money on this one. Even with a rough second half in 2009, Jackson demonstrated that he's worth the money.
- A couple of front office notes this week: The Astros extended GM Ed Wade through the 2012 season, and Indians GM Mark Shaprio will serve as team president following the 2010 season, with assistant GM Chris Antonetti taking over the GM duties.
- Notable minor league signings this week include Eric Gagne attempting a comeback with the Dodgers, Endy Chavez signing in Texas, and Mike MacDougal signing in Florida. For more minor league signings, check out the Transactions section.
- Tim started up his newest series, giving a look at the Offseason In Review for each club. This week's installments include the Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox, and Rays.
Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For AssignmentMariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Orioles Designate Alex Burnett For Assignment Indians Designate David Huff For Assignment Marlins Release Jon Rauch Derek Lowe Clears Waivers Cubs Claim Eduardo Sanchez Mets Sign David Aardsma Cubs Designate Michael Bowden For Assignment Blue Jays Claim Thad Weber Angels Claim Chris Nelson
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
Rosenthal On Rizzo, Altuve, Mattingly AL Notes: Brantley, Indians, Hendrickson, Angels Alfonso Soriano More Open To Approving Trade Yankees Claim David Huff, Designate Rondon Mets Notes: Wheeler, Wright, Duda, Davis Camden Riversharks Sign Wilson Valdez White Sox Outright Angel Sanchez Rangers Claim Joe Benson Red Sox Notes: Lackey, Henry, Draft Quick Hits: Yankees, Dodgers NL Notes: Amarista, Nationals, Morse, Krol Nationals Designate Yunesky Maya For Assignment Mariners Designate Robert Andino For Assignment Central Notes: Reds, Cubs, Morneau Minor Moves: Dan Klein, Zach Braddock, Royce Ring
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors