Here's your weekly recap of the past seven days here at MLBTR:
- The Diamondbacks locked up one of the game's most promising young players to a six-year deal worth $51.25MM this week when they agreed to an extension with Justin Upton. Upton, still just 22, should be a tremendous value at that price tag, but that's no guarantee. One point of interest: Upton's stellar line of .300/.366/.532 (with 26 HR and 20 SB) is frighteningly similar to his brother B.J. Upton's line of .300/.386/.508 (with 24 HR and 22 SB) from his breakout in 2007. I'm guessing the D'Backs are hoping Justin can maintain more consistency than his older brother has shown thus far.
- Arizona also has an offer to Mark Reynolds on the table for two years and $13.5MM, but it looks like that situation may take longer to play out. Reynolds reportedly would like $18MM for those two seasons.
- The Adrian Gonzalez rumors never cease. This week, after hearing that Jake Peavy has been campaigning to bring his former teammate to the White Sox, we learned that Gonzalez will ask for a mammoth contract when he hits free agency. The White Sox trade seems like a long shot, as Ozzie Guillen says the club won't be moving Gordon Beckham anytime soon. Still, it's tough to see Adrian in San Diego long-term; Ken Rosenthal shared his thoughts on why that is.
- Another story that keeps coming up is the Joe Mauer saga. This week, we learned that the reigning AL MVP's agent, Ron Shapiro, arrived in Fort Myers, FL where the Twins make their home for Spring Training. It's believed that Shapiro and the Twins' front office will hold face-to-face discussions about an extension for the superstar catcher.
- Another franchise cornerstone discussing an extension is Prince Fielder. We learned this week that Scott Boras met with Brewers' GM Doug Melvin to discuss an extension for the king-sized slugger. Prince is under team control for two more seasons, but Brewers fans would like to see him with the Crew long beyond that mark, I'm sure.
- Is a Hank Blalock signing on the horizon? He's reportedly deciding between the Rays and the Marlins, though it looks right now like the Rays are the frontrunners.
- The Cubs signed 22-year-old Cuban pitcher Juan Yasser Serrano for $250K. Yasser defected in 2009 and will begin the season with the Cubs' Single-A affiliate in Dayton, most likely.
- Some notable minor league signings this week, including Garret Anderson agreeing to terms with the Dodgers, and the Athletics signing both Jason Jennings and Brett Tomko. For more minor league deals, check out the Transactions section.
- Updates to the Offseason In Review series this week included the Royals, Twins, Rangers, Angels, and Mariners.
Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez For Assignment Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment Padres Designate Thad Weber For Assignment Athletics Designate Chris Resop For Assignment Rockies Designate Reid Brignac For Assignment Angels Designate Barry Enright For Assignment Yankees Designate Chris Nelson For Assignment Dodgers To Sign Jonathan Sanchez Marlins Release David Aardsma Phillies Sign Carlos Zambrano Rays Sign Cory Wade Mets To Sign Rick Ankiel Cubs Extend Anthony Rizzo
Current Free Agents 2014 MLB Free Agent Power Rankings 2014 MLB Free Agents 2015 MLB Free Agents 2013 Draft Order Transaction Tracker Agency Database MLBTR iPad/iPhone App MLBTR Android App Interviews Hot Stove Glossary MLBTR On Facebook MLBTR On Twitter MLBTR Mobile MLBTR On Kindle MLBTR Forums Team Twitter/RSS Feeds Team Facebook Pages
West Notes: Chavez, Astros, Angels, Mattingly Minor Moves: Velazquez, Bell Rosenthal On Cubs, Brewers, Marlins Athletics Designate Daric Barton For Assignment Angels Claim Chris Nelson, Designate Scott Cousins NL Notes: Stauffer, Phillies, Cubs, Hairston Yankees Designate Alberto Gonzalez Yankees Acquire Reid Brignac Quick Hits: Brignac, Mariners, Odorizzi Contract Extensions Changing The Free Agent Market Marlins Designate Jon Rauch For Assignment AL East Notes: Yankees, Orioles, Ishikawa Twins Release Rafael Perez Draft Notes: Gray, Manaea, Twins, White Sox Padres Don't Intend To Trade Chase Headley
Avoiding The Qualifying Offer Players Reflect On Arbitration Hearings Why I Chose My Agency Series Arbitration Breakdown
A's Rumors Angels Rumors Astros Rumors Blue Jays Rumors Braves Rumors Brewers Rumors Cardinals Rumors Cubs Rumors Diamondbacks Rumors Dodgers Rumors Giants Rumors Indians Rumors Mariners Rumors Marlins Rumors Mets Rumors Nationals Rumors Orioles Rumors Padres Rumors Phillies Rumors Pirates Rumors Rangers Rumors Rays Rumors Red Sox Rumors Reds Rumors Rockies Rumors Royals Rumors Tigers Rumors Twins Rumors White Sox Rumors Yankees Rumors